Cycling Problem

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by queenundertaker, Apr 25, 2018.

1. queenundertaker

queenundertaker New Member Member

Two weeks ago, I dosed my new tank with TSS+. I have a betta and a neon tetra in it at the moment. (I know that neon tetras need 5+ bc they are shoalers, but it was never the plan to even have it. After the tank is established, it is going to be a species only tank with just neon tetras.) But anyways, after two weeks, the nitrate level is only at 5PPM and the ammonia is at 4PPM and the nitrite is at 5PPM. What should I do??

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

The nitrifying bacteria only speeds up the process. 4 parts ammonia is deadly, and will kill anything. same with the nitrite. Let your cycle run longer. It just needs time.

3. OP
    OP
    queenundertaker

Should I do a water change or would that mess everything up?

4. D

5. Snailwhisperer

Snailwhisperer Valued Member Member

The bacteria is not in the water. You should do a large water change. You should also add Seacham Prime and Stability to help with the cycle.

6. D

do not add prime or stability to your aquarium. Ph gets dangerous when you start messing with it, and let the aquarium cycle, adding prime to detoxify the ammonia is wasting money and just adding chemicals to the aquarium. Just wait for the cycle to end.

7. Snailwhisperer

Isn't it dangerous for the fish? The prime would detoxify the ammonia and nitrite.

8. D

Hold on, are you saying, you will tranfer your fish into the aquarium when levels stabalize, or that you have fish in the aquarium now? I read it as your waiting for levels to stabalize, if you have fish now, you need to treat the aquarium. Like it said, 4 parts ammonia is deadly. 2 is when it starts to become toxic.

9. OP
    OP
    queenundertaker

There are fish in it now. That's why I used TSS+ because it is supposed to take care of the cycle in 15 days. You add it with fish in a new tank and change the water on day 15.

10. Snailwhisperer

I may be misunderstanding too...I read it as there were fish in.

11. GuppyDazzle

GuppyDazzle Valued Member Member

I've always cycled with fish in, 25% water changes every other day, monitored the parameters, and everything went fine.

In this forum everybody who has trouble with their cycle is using additives. In my opinion the cycle starters don't do what they're supposed to, and in most cases actually mess up the process.

I've asked, but never got an answer, about how the supposed good bacteria can stay alive in the bottle, then a miracle happens and it becomes some sort of super bacteria when it hits the tank. I don't buy it, but there are people who say it works. But you'd never know it by several new posts a day about people using additives that can't figure out why their tanks aren't cycling.

To each his own I guess.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice