Cycling problem

1. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I'm cycling my tank with fish food, but the only food I have at the moment are freeze-dried things. I have been cycling my tank for over a week already, but there are still large pieces of brine shrimp floating around (yuck :p). Will these break down eventually, or do I have to clean them out eventually? And I haven't gotten some of my test kits yet (yes, shame on me :-\), so how far along should the cycle be? (I put in some fish food, am using Cycle, which is supposed to add good bacteria and speed up the process, and have an external power filter--if that matters.)

2. FishFan Member Member

The filter is good, because good bacteria will break in your filters. I've never heard of using food to cycle, but yet, I'm kinda new to this, too. Also, when it comes to the test strips, I buy the 5-in-one strips as well as the ammonia strips. I have heard to use Cycle, but I didn't. I have also been told to cycle anywhere from 3 days to a month! before adding any fish. So, I guess, I'd wait and see what everybody else says ;)

3. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

It's difficult to say how far along the cycle is without readings from a test kit. I've heard a lot of conflicting information regarding the cycle product. Some say it works and some say it doesn't. Flake food would probably work better than the freeze dried foods.
    The only way to determine where you are at in the cycle is to get a test kit.

I've updated the nitrogen cycle page and it now includes information on how to start the cycle fishless. Check it out and let me know if anything is confusing or raises questions:

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Thx,
    Mike

4. FishFan Member Member

"Many fish can not and will not make it through the cycling process. Often times the fish become stressed and disease starts to break out. I wonder what percentage of disease is caused by the cycling of new aquariums?"

Now this part...I used fish to cycle my tank. The funny (confusing) thing to me is this-my original cycling fish have survived so far...it's my new additions that aren't making it very often. What's up with that?

5. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Mike, the updated page is great! And FishFan, what were those 5-in-one strips you were talking about?

6. FishFan Member Member

(going to check).......OK-the ones I get are made by Jungle. They are 5 in 1 test strips that test Nitrate, Nitrite, Hardness, Alkalinity and pH all with just one strip. That's why I buy the ammonia strips seperate. That's all I use-and it's SO fast & easy!!! :)

7. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Yesterday I bought test strips--they sound the same as yours, FishFan, except made by mardel, I think. I also bought the rest of my fish food, so I siphoned out pieces of brine shrimp and am usind flakes instead.

8. FishFan Member Member

Mardel is a perfectly good brand. I've used some of their products before. I'm not sure when to start testing, but I started after 24 hours of my set-up...and once per day.

9. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Mardel's a good brand? I'm getting some pretty wierd results. I'm not going to re-type my questions about them, but I have them posted under the subject pH.

10. FishFan Member Member

From what I know, they're good...but, I don't know (the lady at the pet store said she uses that brand & that it's good for her tank). I use the Jungle brand for all my test kits.