Cycling period

KJC18
I was just reading some other forums and I just read that you have to wait a year for your tank to Cycle before you can add any corals or fish. Is this true??

sgould
No. There is a difference between a tank cycling and a tank maturing. To cycle a tank takes a few weeks, at which point you are safe to add fish and hardy corals. Having said that, it is true that there are some more delicate species of both fish and coral that have a much better chance of surviving in a tank that has had time to mature for a period of months. A mature tank will generally have more stable water quality and better established populations of food sources such as algae and pods. Just as importantly, a mature tank will also have a "better" (more informed and experienced) owner who is more likely to have the skills and knowledge necessary to succesfully keep those harder to please species of animals.

KJC18
Oh ok, so how long should I wait for my tank to mature until I add soft corals, invertibrates, fish etc?

sgould
There are many that you could begin adding once your cycle is complete, and a few that you should avoid until you have been up and running for awhile. Are there specific types that you are interested in? Soft corals and polyps, as a general rule, are fairly hardy and good beginner choices. Even so, be sure to research a specific type before you buy it to be sure your tank can meet it's requirements. In particular, lighting is very important to corals. Fish are not as demanding on lighting requirements. Tank size and diet will be two of the most important issues you want to understand when selecting them.

KJC18
I'm getting a 75 gallon tank and ive researched corals in an article. this article trys to make it easy to setup a reef Aquarium for begginers and intermediate.

Article:

It really lays it out for you. Heres the type of corals I think i'm going to get (from the article).

Beginner Coral pack; Contains: Button Polyp, Yellow Colony Polyp, Hairy Mushroom Coral, and Bullseye Mushroom Coral
Aquacultured Corals:

1. Silver branch Pumping Xenia
2. regular Pumping Xenia
3. Starburst Polyps
4. Colony Polyps
5. Cauliflower Colt Coral
6. Taro Tree Coral
7. toadstool Mushroom leather Coral
8. SpeaghettI Finger Leather Coral

Do you think this is overcrowding and are these good beginner corals? if you take a look at the article it also lists the fish and invertebrates.

sgould
You have a good sized tank. What kind of lighting and filtration do you have for the tank? Most of those look like good choices, but a couple of them do have strong lighting requirements.

KJC18
Filter: Xp3 Canister Filter

Protein skimmer: Prizm deluxe, but I think I should get the Prizm Pro Deluxe

Lighting: Current USA powercompact orbit fixture,-- 48" 4x130W, 2-dual daylight, 2- dual Actinic lights

Do you think I should buy a better lighting fixture? or do you think I should be ok with the filter and everything?

sgould
You're doing a nice job putting the tank together. Overall, some good equipment there. I think your lighting should be up to the job for the corals you mentioned. When the time comes, just keep an eye on the leather, if it doesn't seem to be doing well, you can move it higher in the tank, closer to the lights. The Prizm skimmers get mixed reviews, and I ran one myself for several months before I upgraded. Generally, I thought it did ok...up until it leaked all over everything (including the electrical outlet). Do you have power heads as well for additional water movement? Recommended total movement is 20x your tank volume per hour, or more, so you want at least 1500 GPH in current being generated. If you are going to keep corals, don't skimp on the water movement, as it is important to them. Fortunately, power heads are fairly cheap.

KJC18
Powerheads: setting up 2, Hydor Koralia 4 Circulation Pump/Powerhead UL 1200 gph on each side of the tank to create a wave type of flow.

Heater: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA SmartHeater 300 Watt, it fits onto the Xp3 Canister filter.

What kind of protien skimmer do you recommed? I can't believe it leaked all over, espically the electrical outlet! that was just screaming dangerous.

I will post some pics when everything is set up and running. What equipment are you running on your tank? If possible I would like to see some pics.

sgould
The outlet portion of that fun-filled evening was at least partially my fault. I had been working under the tank that day and some of the wires got tangled and hung up on equipment, which made my drip loops worthless. I failed to straighten all that out and...well, water and electricity don't mix very well.

The only other skimmer I have personal experience with is the Coralife superskimmer, which I like a lot. They come in 3 different sizes, depending on the size of your tank. Others have raved about AquaC Remora skimmers, with the main downside I recall hearing about being noise. I believe Tunze are also supposed to be good, and if I'm not mistaken I think Mike bought one recently...he might be able to share some info on them. There are other good ones too I'm sure...I'm just not familiar with them.

Here is a link to some shots of my tank, although you can't see all of the equipment in them if that is what you are interested in. I can take some other shots later on, but I'm leaving for work in a few and can't do it now.

KJC18
Your tank looks excellent! I would really like to see some more pictures when you have the chance. I heard the AquaC remora skimmers are really good, so I think i'm going to go with that one. I got some questions bout your tank

How old is your tank?

what size is your tank?

what type of fish do you have?

Just out of curiousity, do you think it is possible to simulate some sort of thunderstorm inside an aquarium? between wave movements etc? Because thunderstorms must have some kind of impact on the corals, fish, basically every living specie in the ocean I believe. What do you think?

sgould
Thanks! It is still a little emptier than I want it. I need to add a bit more rock and more corals, but with the expenses involved in this hobby you have to go kind of slow. This tank is a 29 gallon and has been up and running for about 7 months. It houses 1 percula clownfish, 1 purple firefish, 1 royal gramma, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, and numerous snails and hermit crabs. Corals are starburst polyps, umbrella xenia, colt coral, green open brain, and green ricordia mushroom.

Honestly, I have no idea about the simulated rainstorm. I have seen it done on a large scale at a zoo, where they ran pipes with regularly spaced pinholes along the ceiling above the water. When turned on, complete with sound effects and mist machine, it simulated a tropical storm. It was a really cool effect, and my kids loved it. But, I'm not really sure how you could do it on a small, household scale. My thought is that the people observing the tank would get a kick out of, but is not really necessary for the tank's inhabitants.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views