Cycling: Nitrite Off The Charts?!

t2ak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A new 29g has been cycling for just over a week. Right now my ammonia levels drop from 4ppm to zero for the last three days. My nitrite is beyond the chart. Also nitrate is at 40+ppm. Should I do a partial water change? From what I've read it seems like a 30% water Change and lightly feeding ammonia would be the thing to do.

What do you think?

Tested with api master test kit. Twice.. Lol

Dondomingo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you have fish in or is this a fishless cycle? The Nitrobacter that grow to eat nitrites are twice as slow to grow and have to compete for space with the Nitrosomonas bacter that is already present. Optimal PH for Nitrobacter is 7.3 - 7.5 and just make sure the tank doesn't get too cold as it slows down the process.

Once they do get started you'll see a drop in nitrites. Not sure if lowering the nitrites via water change is recommended unless you have fish in the tank.

Last edited:

t2ak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No fish. A few java ferns and dwarf hairgrass. My pH is 7.4-7.8 (hard to tell with it being between the two different pH tests.

I will just lightly feed ammonia for now and continue waiting.

Dondomingo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ah cool, then your on track. Sounds like you have the right idea. Patience is a virtue except when cycling... lol.

Ben3721

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
+1 dondomingo

I mean since it is fishless you can raise the levels pretty high. ive read way to high ammonia can kill BB but who knows. Just make sure you have all the levels at 0 before you drop a fish in there. remember its always better to have two much BB from a fishless cycle then too little when you putting in fish.

t2ak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Came home today to find zero ammonia and nitrite. Nitrate was way high. I changed 30% of the water. I will test again. I am expecting another water change or two to get it down and ready for fish. I can't believe the tank cycled in 10 days. I was expecting at least 2-3 weeks. I guess now i'll just have to keep feeding a little ammonia until I get some fish.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should be able to do just one large water change (maybe 90%-95%) and get those nitrates down. Then you'll be ready to add some fish. You might be able to do it all today.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom