Cycling New Tank

SmallCoward

Hello all!

I'm new to this hobby and hoping to understand where my fishless cycle is at. I'm on day 16 of cycling my 50L (13.2 gal) tank and after a nitrite spike that lasted six days, today they have dropped to <0.25. It's not quite the light blue colour. Ammonia never went that high(0.50 max) but now seems to be stuck at <0.25 however no amount of dosing with fish food or bloodworms seems to raise it so there must be enough ammonia-eating bacteria right? What I'm really confused about is that the nitrates didn't spike when nitrite dropped. There's one plant in there, I think its a varigated rush, could that be absorbing the nitrates?
Here's some stats if it helps:
Amm Nitrite Nitrate pH
12/06 0.50 1.0 - -
13/06 0.25 1.0-3.0 5
14/06 <0.25 3.0-5.0 5 7.6
15/06 <0.25 3.0-5.0 - -
16/06 - 1.0-3.0 5 7.6
18/06 <0.25 <0.25 5 -

Thank you!

I spaced out those stats nicely when I typed my question but then it did that lol. Here's a more comprehensive representation:

aquastat.png

Donthemon

Dose with ammonia, fishfood is to hard to get the right amount of ammonia to cycle properly.

SmallCoward

Dose with ammonia, fishfood is to hard to get the right amount of ammonia to cycle properly.
I would but I live in Australia where pure ammonia is banned.

lucy.hotdog

I recently started cycling a fishless tank, I used a lump of raw prawn, got my ammonia right up within 48 hours, nitrite is beginning to show up now. Seems to be doing the trick for me!

SmallCoward

I recently started cycling a fishless tank, I used a lump of raw prawn, got my ammonia right up within 48 hours, nitrite is beginning to show up now. Seems to be doing the trick for me!
I thought about using a piece of shrimp/prawn but decided to go with bloodworms. I'll be sure to give prawns/shrimp a try in the future or if the bloodworms don't do anything. Come to think of it, I didn't get a master test kit until five days after setting up and dosing the tank. Perhaps I missed the ammonia spike?

lucy.hotdog

You might have missed a spike! I'm no expert in fishless cycling though, or what you should be seeing when etc. At the moment I have around 4.0ppm ammonia which has gradually been getting higher all week though. So I would imagine you would've caught it on day 5 when you got your test kit.

Since you have nitrates present you're on track. If in doubt, since there's no fish in there, I would dose it again with some kind of food to get more ammonia in there. Really get it going!

SmallCoward

Ok, I dosed with two blocks of bloodworms this morning. I've been dosing one block at a time thus far. After four hours I still had <0.25 ammonia(could be zero as I've heard that the API ammonia test can give false positives) and 0.25 nitrite. I'll give it some time and update tomorrow. I hope the bloodworms will do something, if not I'll give the shrimp a try. Also, my tap water contains 5.0 nitrates. I'm just confused why nitrates didn't spike following the nitrite spike.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aquatickeeper
Replies
Views
cchassie
75 Gallon Tank No nitrites ???
Replies
Views
Sb092
Replies