Cycling New Tank

hop2jr

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello everyone I have been cycling the 75 gallon tank for 14 days, have 25lb purple live rock, 25lb regular live rock and 25lb of dry rock. Cycle seemed to be going good put 2 fresh cocktail shrimp in to rot and get ammonia. Ammonia raised started getting nitrites, nitrite rose and got nitrates normal right. Yesterday my readings were ammonia .25 nitrites .25 nitrates 10. Tonight they are ammonia.25 nitrites 0 nitrates 10. Dont know what happed anyone else had this happed I’m using apI saltwater test kit. There are some picture bellow of setup.

Attachments

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Tony is right. API is notorious for .25 false positive readings. I wouldn't trust it unless you have verification from a more Reliable kit (ie Red Sea, Hannah, Salifert).

OP
hop2jr

hop2jr

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So if that is a false positive my cycle is over? Reading last night was ammonia.25 nitrite 0 nitrate .5 and have green algae growing fast on live rock

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Possibly, but once again you need to confirm with a more reliable kit. As for the algae, how long have you been running your lights each day.

New Threads