Cycling new tank

chipster55

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Could anyone tell me what a reasonable timeframe would be to start seeing ammonia, nitrite and nitrate activity in a new 75 gallon tank being cycled with 5 white clouds. I know it takes up to 2 months for a complete cycle. Thanks

OP
C

chipster55

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Also am I correct in thinking that until there is ammonia activity that there is no reason to test for nitrite and nitrate after initial test??

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm not sure how long it will take. 5 white clouds in a 55 gal. is not very many. I cycled my 20 gal. long with 3 zebra danios, and it took about 6 weeks. If you don't see any ammonia in a week, test the nitrites. Your cycle might be a little less than normal because of the fish in your tank.

OP
C

chipster55

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
do you mean less than normal because of the small number of fish??

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Yep. I've cycled a 10 gallon with just 1 betta before. The cycle was so slow that I never had the ammonia and nitrite spikes that were stressful to the betta.

OP
C

chipster55

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So should I get some more fish...If so how many?? I was thinking about some cories

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Go ahead and stick with what you've got for now and see how long it takes for ammonia to show up. Cory cats don't do well in a tank that's cycling, and they will probably not survive.

New Threads