10 Gallon Tank Cycling new tank with filter running one week in a established tank

aqua_man

Hi friends,

I have a 50 gallon fully established aquarium. I test the water parameters very seldom and never see ammonia and nitrite reading greater than 0 from past few months.

I setup a 8 gallon small tank for betta. I started cycling this tank using pure ammonia from two days. To speed up the cycling process, I am planning to buy a new hob filter and run it in my 50 gallon established tank for a week and place it to the new 8 gallon tank.

Will it speed up the cycling process?.

One week enough for a new filter to get enough beneficial bacteria from a established tank?

Thanks.

marmaaa

Is it possible you could take a piece of sponge from the cycled filter in the 50g and seed it in the 8g, it would be faster then buying a new filter and letting it cycle in the 50g then moving it to the 8g.

aqua_man

marmaaa said:
Is it possible you could take a piece of sponge from the cycled filter in the 50g and seed it in the 8g, it would be faster then buying a new filter and letting it cycle in the 50g then moving it to the 8g.
Yes. I tried it actually. But 50g filter is a little bigger and new filter for 8g is a bit small. The filter media of 50g is cartridge type and not suitable for the new small filter..

marmaaa

aqua_man said:
Yes. I tried it actually. But 50g filter is a little bigger and new filter for 8g is a bit small. The filter media of 50g is cartridge type and not suitable for the new small filter..
Oh okay, then what you said could possible speed it up but you would still have to dose some ammonia in.

GlennO

One week is not very long, but it might help a little. Could you transfer some gravel?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom