Cycling New Aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Neocortex, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Neocortex

NeocortexNew MemberMember

Hello everyone!

This is my new 28 gallon marine-land bowfront aquarium. Aquascaping was all done by my Fiancee so credits go to her , I just do the biological and chemistry side of things.

I have an Aqueon 30 filter, Finnex 24/7 + SE Led lights and 100w heater. Substrate is made of eco complete and Caribesea torpedo beach sand. As you can see I'm also cycling with live plants.

We are on day 6 of cycling and my tap water is 8.2 PH and so far my test readings are as follow.

Ph 7.5 ammonia 1.0 ppm Nitrate 0.25 ppm.
    I need some guidance , ammonia has been like this for around 2 or 3 days now. Does this mean the bacteria's are not doing their job? I have only been adding fish food as a source. In the beginning I added a bottle of TSS safestartplus to speed up things.

Im looking forward for some fishlore advice, thank you!

20170416_105633.jpg

2. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

That looks really good. Should be fun when you add fish in a few weeks.

That silver elephant and remote really ties the pieces together.

3. Jimbobob

JimbobobNew MemberMember

I wouldn't expect to see any nitrite readings until 10-14days or nitrate for 20-28 days, sometimes longer. Turn up the temp a bit and leave it do its thing, I don't even start testing for nitrite until 2 weeks + then only test every second day.

4. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Very nice looking tank. Tell your fiancée good job.
    Important Cycling Information

Important - Important Cycling Information
    I would check out some of these links for fishless cycling info. Did you have a readable ammonia level in the tank when you added the TSS?

5. OP
    OP
    Neocortex

Thank you all!

My mistake , i meant nitrite is at 0.25 , Nitrate is 10ppm even though i know its early to start testing it!

6. OP
    OP
    Neocortex

Thank you for the useful links

Unfortunately I didn't test the water before or immediately after i added the TSS.

I have another cycled 10 gallon with fish and shrimp, I am planning bringing them over together with the filter and let it run on this new tank . Would i be able to instantly add the livestock this way?

7. Mom2some

You would instantly cycle to the level of your current stocking...
    I would wait to add more fish....
    Move it over, run it for a week, check levels... then slowly add more fish with both filters running. I have seen suggestions to keep both filters running for about a month... then when you remove the 10 gallon filter I would expect a small cycle bump as the "new" filter catches up.

Is your plan to continue creatures in the 10 gallon, or will you be done with that one? That will make a difference. @jdhef is good at moving cycled media... maybe he can suggest an alternate.

8. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Actually, the only time I ever moved cycled media was when I upgraded from my 36g to my 46g. My Fluval 206 wasn't big enough for the 46g so I had to purchase a Fluval 306. So I just added the bio rings to the basket in the 406. Since I did not add any additional fish right away, I had an instant cycle.

9. dan100785

dan100785New MemberMember

Great looking tank! I really like the two tone substrate. I also started my Marineland 38 gal bowfront with eco complete. It only took me 2 weeks till my tank was cycled and I could start adding fish. I started with my betta fish, then 3 fish every week.

10. OP
    OP
    Neocortex

I didn't have the chance to bring that filter over but if I ended doing it I will be done with the 10 gallon and keep only this one. I currently have 8 glowlight tetras and 5 amano shrimp on the 10g.

So did test the water yesterday and today and i got these readings : ammonia 0.25 (went down compared to before yesterday) and nitrite have spiked to around 2.5 or 3ppm.
    What is the best procedure now? Wait for the nitrite to go down , use prime to detoxify it or do a pwc to bring those levels down. I also have a bottle of pure ammonia should i continue to feed the bacteria?

Thanks, I think i am close to it!

11. OP
    OP
    Neocortex

Just reached 0 ammonia today, nitrites still around 2.0ppm. Some say to keep feeding the BB others say it will go dormant for the time being. Should I just wait for the nitrites to go down? How long does that take?

12. OP
    OP
    Neocortex

Hello!
    My my nitrites just went to zero , from 2ppm yesterday. ammonia is also zero.
    I really need some advice now , I wont be able to add fish at least until the weekend.

Thank you!

13. Mom2some

I would dose it back up to 1.0 or 2.0 ammonia (whatever you have been doing. Then test again in 12-24 hours. Sounds like you are so close!

14. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Hi, welcome to the forum :). I met you in the other thread.

I'd re-dose ammonia to 1.0-2.0 and then see how long it takes for it to drop to 0 and for nitrites to be 0 also.