Cycling New Aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Neocortex, Apr 21, 2017.

1. NeocortexNew MemberMember

Hello everyone!

This is my new 28 gallon marine-land bowfront aquarium. Aquascaping was all done by my Fiancee so credits go to her , I just do the biological and chemistry side of things.

I have an Aqueon 30 filter, Finnex 24/7 + SE Led lights and 100w heater. Substrate is made of eco complete and Caribesea torpedo beach sand. As you can see I'm also cycling with live plants.

We are on day 6 of cycling and my tap water is 8.2 PH and so far my test readings are as follow.

Ph 7.5 ammonia 1.0 ppm Nitrate 0.25 ppm.
    I need some guidance , ammonia has been like this for around 2 or 3 days now. Does this mean the bacteria's are not doing their job? I have only been adding fish food as a source. In the beginning I added a bottle of TSS safestartplus to speed up things.

Im looking forward for some fishlore advice, thank you!

20170416_105633.jpg

2. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

That looks really good. Should be fun when you add fish in a few weeks.

That silver elephant and remote really ties the pieces together.

3. JimbobobNew MemberMember

I wouldn't expect to see any nitrite readings until 10-14days or nitrate for 20-28 days, sometimes longer. Turn up the temp a bit and leave it do its thing, I don't even start testing for nitrite until 2 weeks + then only test every second day.

4. Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Very nice looking tank. Tell your fiancée good job.
    Important Cycling Information

Important - Important Cycling Information
    I would check out some of these links for fishless cycling info. Did you have a readable ammonia level in the tank when you added the TSS?

5. NeocortexNew MemberMember

Thank you all!

My mistake , i meant nitrite is at 0.25 , Nitrate is 10ppm even though i know its early to start testing it!

6. NeocortexNew MemberMember

Thank you for the useful links

Unfortunately I didn't test the water before or immediately after i added the TSS.

I have another cycled 10 gallon with fish and shrimp, I am planning bringing them over together with the filter and let it run on this new tank . Would i be able to instantly add the livestock this way?

7. Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

You would instantly cycle to the level of your current stocking...
    I would wait to add more fish....
    Move it over, run it for a week, check levels... then slowly add more fish with both filters running. I have seen suggestions to keep both filters running for about a month... then when you remove the 10 gallon filter I would expect a small cycle bump as the "new" filter catches up.

Is your plan to continue creatures in the 10 gallon, or will you be done with that one? That will make a difference. @jdhef is good at moving cycled media... maybe he can suggest an alternate.

8. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Actually, the only time I ever moved cycled media was when I upgraded from my 36g to my 46g. My Fluval 206 wasn't big enough for the 46g so I had to purchase a Fluval 306. So I just added the bio rings to the basket in the 406. Since I did not add any additional fish right away, I had an instant cycle.

9. dan100785New MemberMember

Great looking tank! I really like the two tone substrate. I also started my Marineland 38 gal bowfront with eco complete. It only took me 2 weeks till my tank was cycled and I could start adding fish. I started with my betta fish, then 3 fish every week.

10. NeocortexNew MemberMember

I didn't have the chance to bring that filter over but if I ended doing it I will be done with the 10 gallon and keep only this one. I currently have 8 glowlight tetras and 5 amano shrimp on the 10g.

So did test the water yesterday and today and i got these readings : ammonia 0.25 (went down compared to before yesterday) and nitrite have spiked to around 2.5 or 3ppm.
    What is the best procedure now? Wait for the nitrite to go down , use prime to detoxify it or do a pwc to bring those levels down. I also have a bottle of pure ammonia should i continue to feed the bacteria?

Thanks, I think i am close to it!

11. NeocortexNew MemberMember

Just reached 0 ammonia today, nitrites still around 2.0ppm. Some say to keep feeding the BB others say it will go dormant for the time being. Should I just wait for the nitrites to go down? How long does that take?

12. NeocortexNew MemberMember

Hello!
    My my nitrites just went to zero , from 2ppm yesterday. ammonia is also zero.
    I really need some advice now , I wont be able to add fish at least until the weekend.

Thank you!

13. Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

I would dose it back up to 1.0 or 2.0 ammonia (whatever you have been doing. Then test again in 12-24 hours. Sounds like you are so close!

14. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Hi, welcome to the forum :). I met you in the other thread.

I'd re-dose ammonia to 1.0-2.0 and then see how long it takes for it to drop to 0 and for nitrites to be 0 also.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice