Cycling New 5 Gallon?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by tum0r, Sep 11, 2019.

1. tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +95
    Experience:
    4 years
    I'm an experienced fishkeeper, but I haven't set up a new tank in probably 11 years, and back then I had help. Was wondering, I have spare filter floss that's been in my 25 mildly overstocked tank for about 3 months. If I just squeezed that out into the new tank water so that it's filtered through into the new filter media, would that benefit my cycling process any?

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,102
    Experience:
    2 years
    I would cut a piece of floss from your 25 filter and stuff it into the 5 filter along with the new media and it will cycle the tank .. unless your using a sponge but I don’t think squeezing the media into the new tank will do much

3. OP
    OP
    tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +95
    Experience:
    4 years
    Alright, I can do that. My problem is that I don't have a test kit, so I was hoping that by using that media in some way or other I could pretty much guarantee a cycled tank?

4. kallililly1973

Ratings:
    +3,102
    Experience:
    2 years
    IME when I’ve added established media to a new filter and tested it a couple hours later I always got cycled readings. But you will also need to keep feeding the BB to keep the cycle alive. Can you add the media and bring a sample of your water to the pet store so they can test it for you. A test kit is obviously very important. I would suggest the api liquid kit.

5. OP
    OP
    tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +95
    Experience:
    4 years
    I had the api masterkit, but it's now expired and I don't trust it to give me an accurate reading. To purchase the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests alone would cost me about 40 bucks altogther, which I'd rather not spend if I know I can maintain a cycled tank without testing it. Unfortunately my lfs is an hour and a half's drive away. I will be using fish food to feed the tank in the meantime.

6. kallililly1973

Ratings:
    +3,102
    Experience:
    2 years
    If your able to order from Amazon they have it for about $25. I'm not sure how your going to be able when your tank is cycled without getting those water parameter readings. Good luck!

Become a Fishlore Member