Cycling New 30 Gallon Tank

mrsmuffin
Hello all! I have been lurking here for a while, but this is my first post...

I am going to be getting a 30 gallon tank - hopefully this weekend. My question is this...when I set up the new tank, can I use some water from my 5 gallon (as I do a water change) to help my new tank cycle more quickly? Also, I know that I want a school of tiger barbs for the new tank (my son has wanted some since we started the 5 gallon); would it be okay to start out with 6 of these as my first fish in the tank after it cycles, or is that too many to put in the tank at one time?

Thanks for your help!

nanoman923
I have no freakin' idea but I if your water is very healthy, I guess so.

Lucy
HI Mrsmuffin,
Welcome to Fishlore. Instead of using old tank water, You can cut a peice of your used filter media from your 5g. and put it in your new filter. You can also take a handful of gravel and put it in a clean stocking and hang it in your new tank.

I'm glad you're going to do a fishless cycle, so don't forget to feed your tank so the bacteria grows.

After you're cycled, add only a couple of fish at a time.
Good Luck...oh, and we love pics!

Peterpiper
Hello all! I have been lurking here for a while, but this is my first post...

I am going to be getting a 30 gallon tank - hopefully this weekend. My question is this...when I set up the new tank, can I use some water from my 5 gallon (as I do a water change) to help my new tank cycle more quickly? Also, I know that I want a school of tiger barbs for the new tank (my son has wanted some since we started the 5 gallon); would it be okay to start out with 6 of these as my first fish in the tank after it cycles, or is that too many to put in the tank at one time?

Thanks for your help!

HI and welcome to FishLore,
I would not use the water from the other tank, as the reason you are doing the water change is to remove Nitrates and Nitrates are the end product of the Nitrogen cycle.
The bacteria you are looking for are not in the water, but are on the surface of things in the tank, mostly they are in the filter. so removing some of the filter from your existing tank and placing it in the new filter will help kick start the cycle process.
Do you know the different ways to cycle a tank or filter?

In regards to stocking levels, I think its 1" of fish to 1 gallon of water.

mrsmuffin
Thanks for your answers!

Do you know the different ways to cycle a tank or filter?

Yes, I have read the article about the cycle a couple of times, I just wasn't sure if using some of the water out of my other tank would help.

In regards to stocking levels, I think its 1" of fish to 1 gallon of water.

I wasn't so much asking about stocking levels as I was asking if 6 tiger barbs were too many fish to be the first fish in the tank since everything I have read has said to start with 2-3 fish.

Also, could I do a school of just 4 tiger barbs to leave room for another species, or do I really need 6 to avoid any problems? I haven't decided what else to put in my tank yet...

Thanks again for your help

kra-z-fishmumm
I believe the suggestion is to not put that many fish in at one time,,, maybe start with three. Adding so many fish at one time would over load your tank and cause too much waste.

Peterpiper
The amount of fish you can place in the tank after cycling will depend on which method was used to cycle the tank.
If you use the dead prawn or fish food method, you should only add 2-3 fish and then add 1 at a time leaving a min of 1 week between stocking. This is so the bacteria can grow in numbers as the bio load increases.
If you use the Ammonia method, and dose to 4-5 Ammonia, then once the tank has cycled you can add all the fish at once.
I don't know about Tiger Barbs, so I will leave that for someone else.

Blub
Hi!

Tiger barbs. 6 Tigers would fully stock you - no more fish BTW.
Now, tiger barbs are very aggresive - add first (Arange the decor in a way you don't want), 2 weeks later put the existing Tigers in a bucket of tank water, move around the decor, add 3 more tigers, once they're acclimatized put the old Tiger and the water in the bucket back in the tank. That should stop the new fish being picked one by the old fish who think that this tank is 'their territory'. Watch out for any friction - if one smaller fish is picked on particularly (Tigers nature is to play fight) and is showing signs on weakness isolation may be necessary. If I where you, I'd get 2 regular Tigers, 2 Green tigers and 2 Albino tigers to add some colour - they treat each other just like other tigers, and it will be a bit like having other species. Don't put 4 tigers and another species in, in small numbers Tigers aggression almost doubles, and it's not each other they pick on - it's the other fish who aren't accustomed to fighting back. Tiger barbs are great in species aquariums where you mix the colour variety's. Good luck!

mrsmuffin
Maybe I will rethink the tigers...I was really hoping to put at least one other species in also. I do have a question though, this site says that a tiger's mature size is 3", so 6 tigers would only be 18" of fish. Wouldn't that still leave me a little room in a 30 gallon tank?

capekate
Maybe I will rethink the tigers...I was really hoping to put at least one other species in also. I do have a question though, this site says that a tiger's mature size is 3", so 6 tigers would only be 18" of fish. Wouldn't that still leave me a little room in a 30 gallon tank?
HI MrsMuffin
and welcome to fishlore.
I agree... six tiger barbs which by my books say grow to an average of 2.25 inches in size, tell me that you have plenty of room for more fish in your 30 gallon tank.

~ kate

FL CommunityFans
School of Tigers and a school of corys!

Blub
Hi!

Wait - I thought we where talking a 20gal!? Why is it I always do that... I think if we add fish to a tiger barb tank, it needs to be able to stand up for itself. I don't know about this, but a possibility is a Krib, or even a pair of Kribs? Rainbow shark or RTBS (Red tailed black shark) would be pretty cool additions as well. Tiger barbs can really limit your fish choice - if you want a community I don't recommend them. Corys might go well.

mrsmuffin
I really like cherry barbs, too. Ugh...decisions, decisions! I am determined to be patient and get it right, though. My brother better remember and bring me the 30 gallon tomorrow. My husband says that I am addicted; I think he is right - I don't even have the 30 gallon yet and I am already plotting and trying to figure out where I can put a bigger tank.

Blub
I really like cherry barbs, too. Ugh...decisions, decisions! I am determined to be patient and get it right, though. My brother better remember and bring me the 30 gallon tomorrow. My husband says that I am addicted; I think he is right - I don't even have the 30 gallon yet and I am already plotting and trying to figure out where I can put a bigger tank.
Hi!

Yeah, it's strange isn't it... Just you wait, soon everything will start to look lie an aquarium! I was acctualy eying up the bath the other night...

Cherry barbs are a delight - totally peaceful, great colour and small size. (2") I much prefer them to Tiger barbs, Cherrys and neons go great with each other. (Hint hint - get cherrys, 8 neons and 1 dwarf pleco for your 30gal!)

mrsmuffin
I was actually thinking about cardinals...are their traits much different than neons? For some reason I am attracted to them more than neons.

Another question...what is the best way to move my 5 gallon? I am just moving it from my living room to my kitchen. Can I do a partial water change and move it after I remove some of the water?

Thanks again for all of your help. I know that I am full of questions!

capekate
HI MrsMuffin
cardinal tetras are great in a school. But have to say they are harder to keep than neons. they do prefer a mature tank too and are very sensitive to water conditions.
Your idea on moving your 5 gallon tank sounds right on. Just make sure you take enough water out before moving it, so that that there is no added stress on the tank while moving. Save your water, and refill the tank and you should be good to go! ;D

~ kate

Biscato33
I also thought cardinals were a little more attractive too. But neons are good too!! Like Capekate said, cardinals perfer a mature tank and are sensitive to water changes.
I'm also cycling a tank, but it's a 20g! keep on aasking questions!! I don't mind! (Even though I'm sort of a beginner myself! lol)

AlI ;D

susitna-flower

Welcome to the MTS club....oh I forgot you have to stand up and give your name at all meetings.....you are truly a fishaholic!...

It is a good thing though, it keeps us sane all the rest of the time. Your husband should be thankful.... PMS is much better for me now!

The bigger tank...well it ALL depends on where you spend the most time... If you are in the living room...you could always get rid of the TV... ops: that might not be good if you want to keep on EVERYONES good side.....hummmmm

For me, we cut a hole in the wall between the living room and kitchen and a 55 gal went in there... another on a kitchen counter, not so many dishes to stack around now the most of my kids are gone... Then came the 125 gal tank... It is right in the living room where the couch used to be! I am surrounded with my lovely fish. :;z

Blub
Hi!

Welcome to the wonderful world of MTS my friend! Kate has already told you what it's like for an adult... But for a kid like me it's about being opportunistic. Get a cheap tank when and where you can - and pray your breeding program will pay the money back soon!

Cardinals are pretty sensative. If you like small schoolers like Cherry barbs and Tetras, check out Black phantom tetras, Glowlight tetras, Harlequin rasboras, Serpae tetras, Silver hatchets (My avatar!) and Zebra danios. All of those are hardy, a few have a some easy-to-meet special needs.

mrsmuffin
Unfortunately (in this case) I am an adult and have to think about responsible things before spending all of our money on tanks...that doesn't mean that I can't dream, though!

Just keeping my fingers crossed that my brother remembers to bring me his 30 gallon today. I should have called him this week and reminded him to get it broken down for me...

Lucy
I'm also cycling a tank, but it's a 20g! keep on asking questions!! I don't mind! (Even though I'm sort of a beginner myself! lol)
AlI ;D

That's what's great about this site, There's lots to learn from other peoples questions.

I don't even have the 30 gallon yet and I am already plotting and trying to figure out where I can put a bigger tank.

I'm the same way, I don't have my 20 yet, but when I look at stock ideas, there is so much to choose from. Cardinal are pretty, but I read they are very sensitive. I've only seen them once at my LFS. I have neons, and I just love them.
Keep your eye on Craig's List, you may find a bargain.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
rtaylor1
Replies
Views
Bwood22
Replies
Views
mmerton
Replies