Cycling my tank

Raeaxolotl

Reaction score
I got a tank 3 days ago. I have done a lot of research on cycling tanks so I decided to do a fish less cycle. I filled my tank and added my sand ( I rinsed it first) a sponge filter and some decorations to the tank. I have never had a fish tank before so I could not add any cycled media. I did all of this the first day and then added some pure ammonia to the tank to start the cycle. I also added some biological booster to the tank to kick start the cycle. I have tested the ammonia everyday and it has not gone down but my tank is starting to get foggy. I have read and do not think this is normal because I just started the cycle and the ammonia has not gone down. And I don’t think it is the substrate because it just barely happened today. Is this normal and also do you have any tips for cycling a brand new tank. I plan on putting an Axolotl in it. Any information would be helpful!

AmnScott

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Fogginess or cloudiness in a new tank is usually indicative of a Biological bloom and is usually not a cause for concern. It just sounds like your tank is going through it's initial break-in cycle. It takes some time before the Nitrifying bacteria start breaking down the Ammonia, as they establish themselves in the tank.

OP
Raeaxolotl

Raeaxolotl

Reaction score
AmnScott said:
Fogginess or cloudiness in a new tank is usually indicative of a Biological bloom and is usually not a cause for concern. It just sounds like your tank is going through it's initial break-in cycle. It takes some time before the Nitrifying bacteria start breaking down the Ammonia, as they establish themselves in the tank.
Thank you!!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't get concerned if it takes a couple of weeks for the ammonia you added to start going down. adding the bottled bacteria may speed the process up so it may happen sooner but just give it time. Don't do anything to the tank other than run the test to see if the ammonia has started going down. Once it does you can start running the nitrite test along with the ammonia test.

Once ammonia starts going down you will need to add more once it gets down close to zero. I recommend adding enough ammonia to get the level up to no more than 2ppm each time it goes down close to zero. That will be plenty to grow enough bacteria to handle the bio-load of your future Axolotl.

Once ammonia starts going down and nitrites start going up you can start checking for nitrates. You aren't going to see then immediately but they should start gradually going up as ammonia and nitrites are going down. Once both the ammonia you add and the nitrites are a constantly zero within 24 hours of adding ammonia and you are seeing nitrates you cycle will be done.

Keep in mind. Some folks that have used bottled bacteria report never seeing nitrites so don't be overly concerned if after your ammonia has been going down for a few days you never see them and instead start seeing nitrates.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
The cloudiness, if it's milky white, is a bacteria bloom. Like AmnScott said, it's usually harmless and will go away on it's own. This may take a week or so, but it will go away. My research has indicated that the only time it would be a problem is if you have critters in the tank, it can reduce the oxygen levels, but that's rare, and normally it's by a very insignificant amount.

New Threads