10 Gallon Tank cycling my tank...

Leigh
Hey there!

I'm cycling a 10 gallon and it will be 2 weeks on saturday. I just tested the water and the ammonia is off the charts, but no nitrates yet. Anything I can do or am I on the right path and just need to wait?

thanks!
Leigh

Moe Jacob
Hello Leigh,
It sounds like you are doing fine ... are you cycling with or without fish? ... If without fish, just let nature take it's course ... you will soon see nitrites that will go through the roof as well, then nitrates will come along. When you have 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrite and under 20 nitrate, you will be ready to slowly add fish a couple at a time (at least a week apart) to let the bacteria catch up each time.

If you are cycling with fish, you will need to start daily partial water changes and use a product like Prime to protect the fish from ammonia until you establish nitrates. This will prolong the cycling but help reduce stress on the fish.

I have only been "at it" for about 6 months, but 4 tanks later, I am HOOKED! And broke!

Take care,
Moe

Leigh
Hey Moe! Yep, I'm pretty darn broke too.

A friend of ours owns an aquatic store and he gave us 5 feeder goldfish, I think they were going to be dinner for a bigger fish. I have 4 of them in the tank, we rescued one of them since my kids flipped out when they saw it. It's so pretty, speckled orange and white. He is now named Neo and in with our platy, cory and baby mollies. The othe 4 are doing fine and swim around very spastically but they've done that since we got them. I wasn't sure if I should do a water change, didn't want to stop my cycle.

Lucy
HI Leigh, if you're cycling with fish, you should be doing daily water changes and use Prime as your water conditioner to detox the ammonia.

It'll take longer to cycle, but it's for the health of your fish.

Leigh
Hey Lucy! I was hoping I'd catch you tonight. I wasn't using them for a week and our friend gave them to us and said they would help it cycle faster. I don't have any Prime...one more thing to put on my list. lol!

thanks Lucy!
Leigh

joy1125
HI Leigh,

about the goldfish that you have in with your tropicals. I don't mean to alarm you, but you are taking a huge risk there. So-called "feeder goldfish" tanks in stores are notoriously overcrowded, and due to these poor conditions, disease and parasites are rampant. Even if your friends store tank was cleaner, they've been exposed to all sorts of junk during their travels. As "feeders", the care just was never there for them. By introducing him into your tank with your tropicals, you are taking a huge risk by exposing your other fish to whatever the goldfish may be carrying. I hope you quarantined him first !!

Secondly, the goldfish cannot be homed with your tropicals. Goldfish need much more space. I see you have one goldie in the 5 gallon with your others ? Goldfish need a minimum of 20gallons per fish, 10 for each additional--- they grow large, and quickly. They also prefer cooler temperatures, different food and need more filtration than tropicals. If you plan on keeping him, you'll need at least a 20 gallon, with a possible upgraded tank in the future. But they make great pet fish Leigh, I really hope you get that bigger tank for him, and keep him !

As for the tank you are cycling with the remaining four. You will need to do 50 percent water changes daily, as not to expose them to the harmful effects of ammonia & nitrites.

I hope you don't take what I'm saying as preachy or scolding or in any other negative way, it is sincerely not my intent. I'm just being straight with you to help you avoid problems with your own tropical tank and the fish you love, and I'm also looking out for the welfare of the goldfish. I'm sure you didn't realize all this when you accepted the goldfish from your friends. We've all been there. That's why I love this forum, the exchange of information is wonderful. It's a great learning experience.

Just curious, after the tank is done cycling, do you plan on keeping the goldfish ?

If you don't want them, perhaps someone you know has a koi/goldfish pond ? They'd be perfect for it.

Leigh
Thanks for the advice Joy!!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom