Question Cycling My Tank

ViciousKitten

Reaction score
So I have a 29 gallon tank, ive been cycling for 2 weeks now. I did a fishless cycle, but added in a raw shrimp to start the cycle. Ive removed the shrimp and have been testing daily. Reading 1.0ppm for ammonia and zero for nitrites and nitrates. I know my cycle isnt done but how to I get the nitrites and nitrates going? Do i just keep waiting? Also my PH is 8.6 I know it isnt a big deal but my tap water also reads 8.6, should I take steps to bring this down? I wont put fish in until the tank is balanced but everything ive been reading isnt on fishless cycles so im trying to do this without losing fish.

Stefanie1234

Reaction score
So I have a 29 gallon tank, ive been cycling for 2 weeks now. I did a fishless cycle, but added in a raw shrimp to start the cycle. Ive removed the shrimp and have been testing daily. Reading 1.0ppm for ammonia and zero for nitrites and nitrates. I know my cycle isnt done but how to I get the nitrites and nitrates going? Do i just keep waiting? Also my PH is 8.6 I know it isnt a big deal but my tap water also reads 8.6, should I take steps to bring this down? I wont put fish in until the tank is balanced but everything ive been reading isnt on fishless cycles so im trying to do this without losing fish.
Hi!! I am currently cycling my tank as well. I'm using Dr. Tim's ammonia for fishless cycling so I can properly monitor how much is in there. Within 4 days I had nitrates. I dumped a whole bottle of 100mL TSS right after adding the ammonia (125 drops to be exact). Make sure not to over dose ammonia. Then dumped half of a 32 oz bottle of Fritz Zyme 7. Cranked up to heater to about 78 and let it go! This was On Friday Sep 6th, but on Sunday I added a whole bottle of Dr. Tim’s One and Only 8 oz.

I HIGHLY recommend dosing ammonia in a controlled fashion like this rather than the shrimp way, it will give you more peace of mind knowing how much is in there and its really cheap!

I am nearing the end of my cycle in just a week and I want to help people like you cycle their tank quickly!

You also do not need to worry about pH when no fish are in your tank. A high pH is actually good for cycling because it means your beneficial bacteria are consuming ammonia instead of ammonium

Last edited by a moderator:

aoiumi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hm. For most fish a pH of 8.6 would be fine, or maybe a little high. When cycling you want to keep pH above 7 because the bacteria can reproduce faster. They can eat both ammonia and ammonium, but below 7.0 they slow in reproduction and below 6.0 they stop reproducing completely.

To get nitrites and nitrates going you just keep adding ammonia! You want to have a constate supply of ammonia in the tank, though I believe ammonia over 4 can slow the cycle - i.e. if it gets over 4 change just enough water to get it below 4.

You can also add beneficial bacteria, or if you have a tank that already is fully cycled you could take some media from it and, without letting it dry out, add it to the filter in your new tank.

I believe someone on here had a "formula" for a quick cycle that was tantamount to using around three separate beneficial bacteria, all at the same time.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
put the shrimp back in, 1ppm is not enough. you'll want it to be around 4ppm. the ammonia phase takes 3 weeks, and the nitrite phase takes 3 more weeks.

ViciousKitten

Reaction score
put the shrimp back in, 1ppm is not enough. you'll want it to be around 4ppm. the ammonia phase takes 3 weeks, and the nitrite phase takes 3 more weeks.
Ah thank you! I'll put a shrimp back in and test until I get up to 4ppm!

Hm. For most fish a pH of 8.6 would be fine, or maybe a little high. When cycling you want to keep pH above 7 because the bacteria can reproduce faster. They can eat both ammonia and ammonium, but below 7.0 they slow in reproduction and below 6.0 they stop reproducing completely.

To get nitrites and nitrates going you just keep adding ammonia! You want to have a constate supply of ammonia in the tank, though I believe ammonia over 4 can slow the cycle - i.e. if it gets over 4 change just enough water to get it below 4.

You can also add beneficial bacteria, or if you have a tank that already is fully cycled you could take some media from it and, without letting it dry out, add it to the filter in your new tank.

I believe someone on here had a "formula" for a quick cycle that was tantamount to using around three separate beneficial bacteria, all at the same time.
Thanks! Im going to try putting a shrimp in again to get the ammonia back up!

Last edited by a moderator:

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A two dollar bottle of ammonia would be more reliable and easier to control then a raw shrimp for your ammonia source.

ViciousKitten

Reaction score
A two dollar bottle of ammonia would be more reliable and easier to control then a raw shrimp for your ammonia source.
ive read a lot about how easy it is to overdose with ammonia, and I am enjoying trying this shrimp thing, I havent been able to find a lot about it on the internet so maybe with my experimentation I can provide others with information. Also, im not sure why I need to control the ammonia in the tank so much that id need to dose with ammonia, I mean I test daily so ill know when to remove the shrimp? If the shrimp doesnt get me up to the 4ppm I'm looking for I will probably break down and buy the ammonia.

ViciousKitten

Reaction score
So i forgot to ask but when I get the ammonia up to 4ppm, should i remove the shrimp or just leave it in there until i can read nitrites?

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you can put it in a sandwich bag and throw it in the freezer to reuse once the ammonia drops down to about 1ppm.

too much ammonia can stall or slow the process.

ViciousKitten

Reaction score
you can put it in a sandwich bag and throw it in the freezer to reuse once the ammonia drops down to about 1ppm.

too much ammonia can stall or slow the process.
okay thank you! im at 3ppm as of yesterday so ill test again tomorrow!

Top Bottom