Cycling Mess Up Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by abby:), Apr 17, 2018.

1. a

abby:) Valued Member Member

the 30th of last month I started cycling a 30 gallon tank. With everything all set up the ammonia was about .15 and nitrite was 0. I ghost fed the tank that day (maybe a little too much) fertilized the plants and added bottled bacteria. My problem is that after that I got really busy and completely flaked on testing the tank until today. Now the ammonia and nitrite are both about .15, I'm really not sure where to go from here and what to do. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

Hey Abb's
    So not to worry it happens, do a 20-25% water change (probably about 4-5" from the trim down) refill your tank with water and treat with your dechlorinating chem. Im not a fan of bottle bacteria or most of the chemicals that some seem to favor. Since you already put some bacteria in just let it ride. Do a water test an hour or so after the water add. The delay is based off your circulation ratio. What filter are you using?

3. OP
    OP
    a

The filter is an aqueon quiet flow 20.

4. NavyChief20

so thats 125 GPH. so roughly 4:1 circulation ratio. It circulates 4 times per hour. Its a rough estimate since the intake and outlet are not perfect but we will call it 4:1. So your bacteria are dispersed throughout the tank. Is the tank bare other than the filter and heater? One thing you can do which will improve your filtration is toss that filter cartridge and put in lava rock or ceramic rings or ceramic balls. Then get some coarse sponge (its at home depot or lowes in the pond area much cheaper than at a pet store) This will increase efficiency of the filter and give you a great beneficial bacteria breeding ground.

5. OP
    OP
    a

I have quite a few live plants in the tank and big rock decoration with a hookup to be a bubbler.

6. NavyChief20

Ok,
    The filter mod i suggested will help you cycle plus it will be a massive kick for your filtration once you stock it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice