Cycling journey and the test of patience. Help

1. Aludar Member Member

So yesterday I began my fishless cycle on a 36g bowfront. Dosing with ace hardware janitorial strength bottled ammonia. Brought the test readings to about 4ppm and believe I will wait till it drops to about 2ppm before adding tss+ just to see how my luck holds with getting it done faster. Does that sound right? And after tss+ should I try to hold the ammonia readings at 2ppm or change it?
  2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

If you want to get fish soon,theres a diffrent way a cycling that I just recently learned about.its called silent cycling the idea is to have as much floating and stem plants as possible to soak up ammonia and will be able to put one or two fish the day you put the plants in if you decide to do it.

3. Aludar Member Member

Still waiting on the Ammonia drop. Patience is a key I'll be using a lot this week.

Silent sounds neat but not sure I'd be comfortable with the amount of plants that sounds like it needs. Interesting idea nonetheless.

Will be back if things turn awry.
  4. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Whats wrong with live plants?

5. Aludar Member Member

Nothing wrong with plants, I plan to have a few in my final setup. Just don't feel comfortable buying such a large amount that I may not end up even keeping long term in a brand new setup.
  6. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, welcome to fishlore :;hi2

I'd just go ahead and do a water change, get your ammonia back down to 2.0 or so, wait 24 hours after adding your dechlorinator then add in your bottle of TSS+.

I think the best method is the dose and wait for it to drop to 0 method.

When they drop to 0, let us know what the nitrite reading is and how many days it has been since you started TSS+.
  7. Aludar Member Member

Went ahead with a 50% water change and added prime. Plan on testing ammonia in the AM. Should I dose ammonia back up to around two if it looks low or just wait out the 24h and dose with TSS?

8. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Keep a eye on it,if it starts getting low fast add ammonia.
  9. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

With TSS+ or any live bacteria a little lower is better initially and then once it's being processed work up to an amount like 2.0-3.0. This will save you on countless water changes from nitrites spiking too high. If you're registering between 1.0-2.0 I would just add the TSS+ and not more ammonia.

TSS+ comes housed in an ammonium mixture to feed the bacteria so I would not bother checking your ammonia level after adding it in for a couple of days. Once your ammonia hits 0, test your nitrites. If they are high (up towards 5.0) I would wait another 24 hours before re-dosing. If they are lower, then go ahead and re-dose ammonia.

It's a common misconception that ammonia has to be dosed as soon as it hits 0 while fishless cycling. Better to let the nitrite converting bacteria (nitrospira etc) have some time to catch up.

If you want to, you can use this thread to post your results and we'll keep an eye on how things are proceeding.
  10. Aludar Member Member

Still waiting for the full day after the primed water change but here are this mornings results.
    Unless I need to do something today, looks like I should be able to TSS in the morning yes?

11. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, looks good :)
  12. Aludar Member Member

Few days after adding tss+. I know that I'm not really suppose to test but this is fishless and I like to keep track of how things are going. Assuming I'm just missing the nitrite spike and as I've seen elsewhere will probably give it more time unless otherwise advised.
  13. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Definitely let it keep doing its thing. You don't have enough ammonia converting bacteria yet but it looks like your nitrite converting bacteria are doing their job, pretty common with TSS.
    Once ammonia is down to .25 or less you can re-dose it to 1.0-2.0.
  14. Aludar Member Member

Also pretty sure since I'm doing fishless that I have no real worries about high nitrates correct? Or will those inhibit the bb?
  15. Aludar Member Member

Side note, these are the results for a 5g I had dosed to 4ppm+ of ammonia and summarily left it alone the entire time until today. Pleasant surprise to see more definitive progress somewhere here I come.
  16. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

If they get up in 100ppm range I would do a huge water change....but yeah at a high level like that they will also cause you issues.
  17. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I'll be curious how long this one takes since you're leaving it be or if it stalls out :) though you can see how much further your other cycle is along with the addition of TSS.
  18. Aludar Member Member

Updates this evening:
    36G still sitting about the same from this morning, decided on a whim to test the small tank as well... Ammonia was practically 0. Went ahead and did a water change just in case to keep Nitrites down as it was looking pretty off the chart. Redosed ammonia to maybe .5 based off starting measurements so i'll see where that is in another day.
    Really trying to ignore the big tank as much as possible and letting it do its thing. Tank cycling and wanting fish with as little stress as possible makes for more hobbyist stress for sure.
  19. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah the waiting game is hard which is why people sometimes cycle with fish. It can be done safely with a super low fish load and a bottle of TSS+.
  20. Aludar Member Member

One week after adding TSS+ finally a definitive nitrite test. Should I be concerned with the level stalling the cycle or stop just doing my best to not fuss with it until I see a drop in them?