Cycling Issues

ZoeNC1

New Member
Member
Messages
48
Reaction score
31
Location
California
Experience
Just started
Hello, I am a new fish keeper who has just started on my first tank. However about just over two weeks on to the cycling process I find myself with 1.0 ppm ammonia and 0 nitrates and nitrites. I have been using apI QuickStart and the fishless cycling method (fish food only) yet nothing is happening. According to my research by this point I should be getting some nitrates but there is nothing. If anyone knows what is the problem and can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
 

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,646
Reaction score
3,368
Location
My house
Experience
Just started
ZoeNC1 said:
Hello, I am a new fish keeper who has just started on my first tank. However about just over two weeks on to the cycling process I find myself with 1.0 ppm ammonia and 0 nitrates and nitrites. I have been using apI QuickStart and the fishless cycling method (fish food only) yet nothing is happening. According to my research by this point I should be getting some nitrates but there is nothing. If anyone knows what is the problem and can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Hmmm.... I would wait for a few days to see if anything changes. I would put a tiny bit more bacteria maybe if nothing is happening. However, it has been a week so I believe the cycle should be starting? Also welcome to fishlore! :)
 

Donkeyhobo3

New Member
Member
Messages
46
Reaction score
14
Experience
Just started
ZoeNC1 said:
Hello, I am a new fish keeper who has just started on my first tank. However about just over two weeks on to the cycling process I find myself with 1.0 ppm ammonia and 0 nitrates and nitrites. I have been using apI QuickStart and the fishless cycling method (fish food only) yet nothing is happening. According to my research by this point I should be getting some nitrates but there is nothing. If anyone knows what is the problem and can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
I would recommend using Seachem Stability, it’s a blue bottle, and it really helped me with Cycling my tank! You just have to shake it real good, until you see that it’s “foggy”. What type of filter do you have as well?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
ZoeNC1

ZoeNC1

New Member
Member
Messages
48
Reaction score
31
Location
California
Experience
Just started
It’s an aqueon quietflow 20 (for 29 gallon tank) with a little bit of extra filter sponge at the output to lessen the strength of the flow

bgntoc said:
Hmmm.... I would wait for a few days to see if anything changes. I would put a tiny bit more bacteria maybe if nothing is happening. However, it has been a week so I believe the cycle should be starting? Also welcome to fishlore! :)
Thanks for the feedback and the warm welcome I will follow your advice and wait longer
 

Donkeyhobo3

New Member
Member
Messages
46
Reaction score
14
Experience
Just started
Oh okay, because what I do is customize my HOB filter. I take out the filter pad and hot rod using these items. I have a sponge from an Aquaclear on the bottom, polyester stuffing in the middle and then some media, like bio-rings, on the top. It’s a good way to colonize beneficial bacteria and make sure that the Ammonia stays zero. Unlike the filter pads, all you replace is the stuffing and it wouldn’t mess with your cycle, at least in my experience it hasn’t. But your number one friend would be Stability from Seachem
 

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,646
Reaction score
3,368
Location
My house
Experience
Just started
ZoeNC1 said:
It’s an aqueon quietflow 20 (for 29 gallon tank) with a little bit of extra filter sponge at the output to lessen the strength of the flow


Thanks for the feedback and the warm welcome I will follow your advice and wait longer
Your welcome. If anything happens or the cycle stalls don't hesitate to let us know :)
 

faydout

Active Member
Member
Messages
256
Reaction score
234
Location
Denver, Colorado
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would also add that you can dose the Stability straight into your HOB filter. It just puts more concentrated bacteria into your filter rather than putting it into your water column and letting the filter run it through. Would also highly suggest modding your filter with sponges, bio balls, and poly fill. That'll work much better than those store bought filter cartridges. Will hold orders of magnitude more good bacteria.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
ZoeNC1

ZoeNC1

New Member
Member
Messages
48
Reaction score
31
Location
California
Experience
Just started
faydout said:
I would also add that you can dose the Stability straight into your HOB filter. It just puts more concentrated bacteria into your filter rather than putting it into your water column and letting the filter run it through. Would also highly suggest modding your filter with sponges, bio balls, and poly fill. That'll work much better than those store bought filter cartridges. Will hold orders of magnitude more good bacteria.
I’ve taken the advice and gotten some Seachem stability and am using the directed dose straight into the filter thanks for your help
 

colin3030

New Member
Member
Messages
6
Reaction score
6
Location
Newtownmountkennedy, Co Wicklow, Ireland
Hi guys have had tank running since thursday adding fish food twice daily and ammonia is still zero. have ordered proper ammonia on internet and should be arriving wednesday. bacteria has been added so should i add more in when i add ammonia. want to get it to 3ppm to get the cycle started. any help i would really appreciate
 

DuaneV

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,470
Reaction score
2,782
Location
Maine
Experience
More than 10 years
The fish food method is a crapshoot at best. There's no way to monitor how much ammonia youre adding. Get some pure ammonia and dose 2-4ppm daily. Once you see nitrites maybe cut back to 2ppm. If ammonia levels go higher than 6ppm, do an appropriately sized water change to lower it back to 2-4ppm. SUPER easy and you know EXACTLY whats going on in there instead of just dumping in food, having decaying food laying all over and guessing.
 

Evaldiv6

Active Member
Member
Messages
63
Reaction score
61
Location
Portland, Oregon
Experience
2 years
When I started my cycle, I used pure ammonia and I used the tetra safe start. I dose both on the same day to start the cycle. I then test every other day and went ahead and added a bit of each until I noticed the nitrates were increasing.
 

colin3030

New Member
Member
Messages
6
Reaction score
6
Location
Newtownmountkennedy, Co Wicklow, Ireland
Brilliant thanks Evaldiv6 im just so nervous that im going to get it wrong. have added pure aquarium bomb on advice of pet shop and they said that would be sufficiant. water is a little bit cloudy (very slight) so i think bacteria is doing something. have 2 air bubblers in there too. its only 60 liters but i really want to get it right
 

Algonquin

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,703
Reaction score
1,355
Location
Ontario, Canada
Experience
2 years
You will only add the ammonia initially - it will take a few weeks for the bacteria to develop that will process that ammonia. When your ammonia reading drops to 0, you will need to add more at that point, to keep the bacteria fed, while you wait for your nitrites to drop to 0 (a second type of bacteria processes your nitrites). At that point, you may be adding ammonia every day or every other day, until the cycle is complete. Then do a big water change, and add your fish (they will then be the ammonia source). :)

Hope that helps.
 

Algonquin

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,703
Reaction score
1,355
Location
Ontario, Canada
Experience
2 years
I'm not familiar with that product, but did a quick read up on it on the manufacturer's website. This is described as being live nitrifying bacteria, and sounds like it's intended to be used with fish in the tank (to provide an ammonia source). If the bacteria is just put in an empty tank, it won't have any food source.
 

Algonquin

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,703
Reaction score
1,355
Location
Ontario, Canada
Experience
2 years
Honestly, I wouldn't add either. You don't need to add 'extras' when cycling, just let nature take it's course. Make sure your water is dechlorinated, of course, but that's it. I'm sure others will have different opinions on that though. I've read a lot of threads on this forum that indicates adding various things to 'speed up' the cycling process can give you weird test results... which can make things complicated ;)
 

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,646
Reaction score
3,368
Location
My house
Experience
Just started
Algonquin said:
Honestly, I wouldn't add either. You don't need to add 'extras' when cycling, just let nature take it's course. Make sure your water is dechlorinated, of course, but that's it. I'm sure others will have different opinions on that though. I've read a lot of threads on this forum that indicates adding various things to 'speed up' the cycling process can give you weird test results... which can make things complicated ;)
I think adding the bacteria isn't bad, it just jumpstarts the cycling process, which makes it quicker. Most people who have had success with it say that their cycle was done quicker. Imo opinion they can be helpful to speed up the process. I haven't actually heard anyone say that it gave weird results to them personally. Maybe I"m not looking in the right threads lol.
 

colin3030

New Member
Member
Messages
6
Reaction score
6
Location
Newtownmountkennedy, Co Wicklow, Ireland
well thats it. i will add the ammonia and nothing else. will let the bacteria i have in there do its thing and keep testing. will let it get to 3/4 ppm and do ammonia and nitrite tests every other day. hopefully i get it right. thanks for your help and any other info you feel like sharing would be greatly appreciated.;););)
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
125
Guests online
2,077
Total visitors
2,202

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom