Cycling issue

imyourhuckleberry
So I thought I understood tank cycling but now I am not sure. The sales person at the Pet store told me to add this nitrifying bacteria and I could add fish right away. I still wanted to start small with fish and slowly add. I have been following the dosing instructions from the bacteria bottle. I have 1 betta in a 37 gallon tank. Ammonia is reading .25 ppm but zero nitrites and zero nitrates. Ph 7.2, temp 77. She has been in the tank for about a week.
I am wondering- will 1 betta produce enough ammonia to cycle a tank this size? If not, do I put her somewhere else and add ammonia, or add a couple fish? Not sure what is best at this point. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
I didn’t expect this tank to be more complicated than my pond!

alven
Hm. It really kind of depends on you. I have a few things to say however.

First of all, I wouldn't buy into anything those people say at the pet stores, point blank. It's common for them to misinform people and it gets on my nerves. Secondly, the bacteria is entirely useless without enough ammonia to support it. Aaaand even if there was enough ammonia it wouldn't be entirely stable for your fish because the bacterial colonies have to naturally balance and stuff. The good news is that your tank parameters will tank longer to fluctuate because of the size. So in essence, it will take your tank longer for your tank to reach unsafe levels with just one betta and a few feedings. I also doubt that your Betta will produce enough ammonia for that entire tank. You can either do a fishless cycle or a fish-in cycle. If you wanna do fish-in, you can keep your betta in there while monitoring your tank parameters + water change, and maybe prime to detoxify the ammonia. If you would like to do fishless, you should try and move your betta out while using an ammonia source accordingly with tests. Like I said, you're the captain of the boat and everyone on Fishlore are the birdies telling you where to go. You make the final decision, lol..

Samyjade99
imyourhuckleberry said:
So I thought I understood tank cycling but now I am not sure. The sales person at the Pet store told me to add this nitrifying bacteria and I could add fish right away. I still wanted to start small with fish and slowly add. I have been following the dosing instructions from the bacteria bottle. I have 1 betta in a 37 gallon tank. Ammonia is reading .25 ppm but zero nitrites and zero nitrates. Ph 7.2, temp 77. She has been in the tank for about a week.
I am wondering- will 1 betta produce enough ammonia to cycle a tank this size? If not, do I put her somewhere else and add ammonia, or add a couple fish? Not sure what is best at this point. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
never trust pet store people they are most likely trying to sell stuff thats what happened to me 7377372 times.

imyourhuckleberry
Samyjade99 said:
never trust pet store people they are most likely trying to sell stuff thats what happened to me 7377372 times.
He wanted me to fully stock the tank day 1. Now very glad I didn’t listen to him.

Cherryshrimp420
imyourhuckleberry said:
You can definitely cycle the tank with 1 betta. Just small feeding is enough

imyourhuckleberry
Cherryshrimp420 said:
You can definitely cycle the tank with 1 betta. Just small feeding is enough
First of all, you have the best username!
Second, should I expect it to take longer with just the Betta? Do I just keep adding the liquid bacteria and doing daily testing?
How high should I let the ammonia get before doing a water change?

Cherryshrimp420
imyourhuckleberry said:
First of all, you have the best username!
Second, should I expect it to take longer with just the Betta? Do I just keep adding the liquid bacteria and doing daily testing?
How high should I let the ammonia get before doing a water change?
The liquid bacteria should be added all at once. If the instructions says otherwise then the product probably isn't true nitrifying bacteria but more of a water conditioner (eg API quickstart, Prime stability)

The ammonia should be kept as low as possible, barely detectable. As long as the fish is eating and pooping the tank will cycle, even if it may be a little slower

StarGirl
It will just cycle for a bioload of a single Betta. If you want to add more fish later do it very slowly. The bacteria will have to catch up and cause a spike. Do your water changes and keep the levels low and you will be fine.

imyourhuckleberry
Update: I’ve got nitrites! Ammonia .25 ppm, nitrites .25 ppm, no nitrates. I’ll just keep testing and change water when levels get too high. Thanks everyone!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom