Cycling Info? Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Billy T, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Billy T

Billy T Valued Member Member

If I bought an ornament a month ago and placed it in an established tank would that help to cycle another tank or not be worth the time? If I were to borrow some gravel how much would I need and what’s the best approach of transporting these to my tank? Maybe some of the cycled tank water in a bucket and gravel and ornament in there? Also was thinking of putting a intake sponge on their filter intake, how long would it need to be on there before moving to mine? Thanks for any suggestions

2. Jay Chen

Jay Chen New Member Member

I'd say get your used filter cartridge and squeeze the stuff out of it.

3. OP
    OP
    Billy T

Yeah about that when I vacuumed his tank he had so much loose algae when I returned later that night the filter was clogged and not working. So I cleaned the whole filter and made a newb mistake and replaced his filter cartridge so that’s a negative. Was about 2 weeks ago that I did that, but didn’t think that would be enough time for new filter cartridge.

4. Caleb Smith

Caleb Smith Valued Member Member

I would just ask the person with the cycled tank for a small piece of their filter material. Even just a small snipet will house enough beneficial bacteria to help start your cycle

5. OP
    OP
    Billy T

Even though I changed the filter cartridge a couple weeks ago? It’s my Popps tank and I just tested. His ammonia 0, nitrites 0, Nitrates 160. I know these nitrates are extremely high but that’s how he runs his tank. Not how I would mine but he doesn’t even test to my knowledge just adds water and didn’t have any casualties until I vaccumed his gravel and did a 25% water change. So seeing these results would the new filter cartridge had enough time to establish good beneficial bacteria

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Changing the filter cartridge removes the beneficial bacteria - don't do that anymore, just rinse in old tank water and reuse. High nitrates will kill his fish, and it's hard to notice a shorter lifespan by looking at the fish (which will happen with those high nitrates).

You can still get a bit of filter media from his tank.

Water from a cycled tank won't do much, if anything - most of the bacteria are in the filter, not the water column.

7. OP
    OP
    Billy T

Yeah that’s everything I’ve seen is extremely high nitrates affect the fish more long term than short term

What about the ornament as well and the gravel, how much and how to transport, bc it needs to stay wet correct?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2018
  8. TexasDomer

Ornament and a handful of gravel might help some, but filter media would be better. You can transport it in a bucket or bag of dechlorinated water. Yes, it needs to stay wet.

9. OP
    OP
    Billy T

Cool I was gonna grab all 3

10. OP
    OP
    Billy T

And put the filter media and gravel in a stocking and just place in tank? Or place gravel on my sand and filter that I cut in my filter? Thanks for all the help

11. OP
    OP
    Billy T

Oh yeah sorry one more question, a pictus just died last night in my Dads tank, would you still say it’s ok to use everything from his tank

12. TexasDomer

Depends on why it died, but since water quality is so bad, that could have been it. If you want to still use everything, you can.

Put the filter media in your filter and the gravel and decor in your tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice