cycling, I am ready to tear my hair out

windymeadow

Reaction score
This tank cycling thing is taking soooooo loooooong. So I am beginning to wonder if I am missing anything. The ammonia is 0 finally, the nitrates and nitrites are way up there. I quit putting ammonia in every other day and now I am waiting for the nitrates to take care of the nitrites (or is it the other way around?). So my question is, am I doing this right? Just waiting I mean, I don't put more ammonia in there do I?

Thanks ahead of time. Joe Cool thanks you too.

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
you're halfway there... now that your ammonia is 0 you just have to wait on the nitrites to go to 0.
the way it works is:
Ammonia to nitrites to nitrates

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
But you still have to continue to add the Ammonia just like your fish would. that is what feeds teh bacteria so it can turn it into nitrites and then into nitrates
Carol

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
How do you add ammonia?? ???

windymeadow

Reaction score
I began by putting in 3 drops (medicine dropper) each day of the clear ammonia that you find with cleaning supplies at the store for my 5 gallon tank, then when I detected nitrites I added 1 drop a day. Look at the cycling your tank info on this site.

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK, so where do you find pure ammonia??? I could only find cleaning stuff that had soaps and things added to it. So I did mine with 10 guppies

windymeadow

Reaction score
I just used a generic clear ammonia found in the cleaning section of the grocery store. No scents or colors. It says for glass cleaning on it.

schiz

Reaction score
Hang in there the first tank cycling is always the hardest, but after that with cultured gravel and filter media you will have a big head start on all the other tanks your fish will force you to buy. My first tank took between 6-8 weeks to cycle after that using gravel I was able to cycle my other tanks in about 2-3weeks. Next time I have enough media to speed it up also.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
You could also look for pure ammonia at a hardware store.
Also you could try the cheaper discount grocery stores. Or discount places that sell groceries.. like Big Lots, or Dollar General or something like that.
Alot of them might sell pure ammonia.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom