Cycling - Help!

Cjc82093

First time cycling a saltwater tank. I added a whole bottle of dr tim’s one and only. Then, I added 2ppm (or so) of dr tim’s pure ammonium. The attached is what my levels currently are at, and I started the process about two weeks ago. What am I doing wrong? When will the ammonia drop? Or is it too high now to even continue cycling?

Attachments

• A8BD4471-C180-4CDD-9294-7F6041F5EFED.jpeg
    A8BD4471-C180-4CDD-9294-7F6041F5EFED.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 94

Momgoose56

First time cycling a saltwater tank. I added a whole bottle of dr tim’s one and only. Then, I added 2ppm (or so) of dr tim’s pure ammonium. The attached is what my levels currently are at, and I started the process about two weeks ago. What am I doing wrong? When will the ammonia drop? Or is it too high now to even continue cycling?
Your tank is cycling, but your ammonia level is way too high. Try doing a 50% water change just to get the ammonia level back 'on the chart' (to about 2ppm) and then see what your readings are 24 hours later. Have you been adding ammonia every day or did you only add it the one time?

Cjc82093

Only one time. But I originally read 1 drop per gallon but then I saw 4 drops per gallon, so I added probably too much. Wont the water change stop the progress that’s already been made?

Ps. Thank you for the reply.

Momgoose56

Only one time. But I originally read 1 drop per gallon but then I saw 4 drops per gallon, so I added probably too much. Wont the water change stop the progress that’s already been made?
No water changes won't affect bacteria already in the tank. The bacteria are on things not floating in the water. At the same time, you don't want to bring your ammonia or nitrites to 0ppm with water changes. The bacteria are 'feeding' on those. Once there are enough bacteria in there to bring your ammonia from 2 ppm to 0ppm in 24 hours, and keep your nitrites at 0, you'll be able to go buy enough fish to fully stock your tank all at once! I cycled a 125g a couple months ago this way and a couple days after my 0 ppm readings and water changes to get Nitrates to 30ppm, I put 20 cichlids, 11 rainbow fish, a 6"common pleco and a 5" catfish in there w/no ammonia spikes.

Cjc82093

Ok. I just did about a 30% water change. I’ll measure the ammonia tomorrow. I should expect to see a drop? What’s the next step after that?

Momgoose56

Ok. I just did about a 30% water change. I’ll measure the ammonia tomorrow. I should expect to see a drop? What’s the next step after that?
If ammonia is at 2ppm, wait 48 hrs and test it again but if it's over 3-4 ppm, do another big water change to get it to 2ppm. Based on the way your test looked, I don't think 30% was enough but maybe...

coralbandit

Nutrients are reduced by the % of water removed and replaced with clean .
So lets say your ammonia was 6 ppm and you changed 30% then you should have aprox. 4ppm or so ?
You removed and replaced about one third of the water so one third of the ammonia was removed .
Welcome .

Cjc82093

Thank you all for the replies. The ammonia seems to be at around 2 now. Do I need to wait until it gets to 0 before I add more?

The dr tim’s tutorial said it would take 5-7 days...definitely not the case...

Still at 2ppm and about .50 nitrites.

Jesterrace

Just a suggestion but I would get a different test kit. API has issues (ie false positives for ammonia, nitrate test that is difficult to distinguish between 10-20, 40-80. Red Sea, Salifert, Hannah and Nyos are all better choices. That said, given the fact you overdosed the ammonia and the fact that you have nitrites present suggests that you definitely have ammonia. Your tank will cycle but it will take longer given the fact that it has way more ammonia to process.

Cjc82093

Just a suggestion but I would get a different test kit. API has issues (ie false positives for ammonia, nitrate test that is difficult to distinguish between 10-20, 40-80. Red Sea, Salifert, Hannah and Nyos are all better choices. That said, given the fact you overdosed the ammonia and the fact that you have nitrites present suggests that you definitely have ammonia. Your tank will cycle but it will take longer given the fact that it has way more ammonia to process.

Thanks for the reply. I got the ammonia down to 2ppm and the nitrites are at 0.5. Do I need to wait until the ammonia drops to 0 before adding more?

Jesterrace

I would given the massive amount it had to process.

Cjc82093

I would given the massive amount it had to process.

Surprise surprise...ammonia at this reading today. Do I need to do another water change? Or just wait it out?

Attachments

• E672B023-2AD3-46F1-81AE-A2CC8A375EB8.jpeg
    E672B023-2AD3-46F1-81AE-A2CC8A375EB8.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 103

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom