Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Cycling Help Please!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Lisa531, May 22, 2019.

1. Lisa531 New Member Member

Hello,

I have been fishless cycling my 20G tank for around 3 months .

For the last couple of weeks my ammonia has been going to 0 ppm from around 2-3ppm within 24 hours after I add it. The problem is that my nitrites became off the charts high. I had to do a water change to get the nitrates on the chart again/5ppm. My nitrates are as of now at 10ppm -ammonia -0-Nitrites 5ppm after last nights 60 percent water change and adding 1 ppm of ammonia.

I have not added any ammonia today as of yet. My PH level is fine/above 7. I tested my tap water and it has 0 ammonia ,nitrites , nitrates.

Where do I go from here? More water changes? Add ammonia every day OR every 2 days? No water changes? Am I doing something wrong? 3 months seems like a long time, and my Nitrites are out of control :0

I do have one live plant in the tank/java fern. The fern's leaves are green but there is brown/darkness on the stem. Could the plant be causing this? Should I remove it?

Any advise would be appreciated . Thanks ! :)

2. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Plants do tend to use ammonia and all that jazz as a food source, while I doubt it's fully to blame it could be part of the problem.
    With a fishless cycle you can go a while without water changes, so I would start by dosing to ~3ppm and leave it for a few days

3. Momgoose56 Well Known Member Member

Dose 1 ppm daily, do water changes to keep nitrates around or below 40pm. You're almost cycled! When Nitrites finally drop to zero, dose ammonia one more time (just to be sure) then 24 hr later if ammonia/nitrite 0 ppm, do water changes to get nitrates to less than 20 ppm and go get fish! You need to feed bacteria every day.