Cycling Help Me

1. B

Bruno New Member Member

I have a 40g aquarium, added water about a month and a half ago, decided to start cycling once I got plants in there. Got the plants about 3 weeks ago and put them in immediately. However i got 2 hitchhiker ramshorn snails so i was hesitant to pour the ammonia solution in there because i didn't want to kill them because im nice. Decided not to do the ammonia and just see how things go because they already had begun creating waste, and lots of it, so I let them do their own thing and see if it would cycle itself perhaps. I feed them boiled vegetables about once to twice a week, they also enjoy grazing on some of my decaying plants. Ive been too busy to officially test the water for the past 2 weeks (bad idea) however last night I found the time to test it for the first time. I havnt done any water changes btw. My PH was 7.6, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0 (API freshwater master test kit.). So now, since I wasn't testing the water until now, I have no idea if I ever had an ammonia spike lol, but basically what im asking for is, what do my test results mean exactly? I plan to keep an eye on it and keep testing every other day now to see if anything changes. I 99% doubt that it is cycled. When should nitrates start showing up? the ramshorns are doing great btw, quite good looking.
    Thanks, and sorry for the long question

Oh also, I noticed I wrote "decaying" to describe my plants lol. To clarify they are NOT decaying and are looking great, growing very fast too, sprouting new leafs, roots, shoots etc. The snails just prefer to eat the older leafs.

2. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

you should have some nitrates, but other than that sounds like your tank is good. since snails barely produce any poop compared to fish I would only add one or two fish at a time.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

No, your tank most likely isn't cycled. The snails don't produce enough waste, and any waste (again, tiny amounts) they did produce was likely taken up by the plants.

You can pour the ammonia in there. Pest snails are surprising resilient, and should be fine with the 1-2 ppm ammonia needed for fishless cycling. If they die, you can always get more! But they really may not die, they're hardy buggers.

4. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

I way overdosed my tank with ammonia, I was told to do 12ppm but accidently did 20ppm.,.. Yes I did say 20!! Lol
    Anyways, my pest snails (ramshorn and pond snails) servived.... now I did loose some but I didn't care lol, for the first few days they mostly just went above water line, as my bb ate the ammonia they slowly went back down, I SWEAR this is a true story, my tank is now at about 8ppm and they are alive. I'd say there was about 30 to start, I'm down to like 15ish now.

Anyways the point is, I'd go ahead and add ammonia, ;)

5. TexasDomer

12 ppm is still way too high. Aim for around 2 ppm. You can do a large water change to get the ammonia back down.

6. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

TexasDomer is correct. You tank hasn't started its cycle. Snails have such a small bio-load they produce very little if any ammonia and ammonia is necessary to cycle your tank.

Pest snails wouldn't be such a problem if they could be gotten rid of with ammonia but that isn't the case. Your snails will be alright in your tank if you go ahead and add the ammonia.

7. Ms rose

No im doing an expirement that @Thunder_o_b says works, the suggested ammonia dose is 12ppm as crazy as it may seem, but i did a bad calculation on my part and went even higher. If you want to follow the expirement its a thread called "fast fishless cycle" but thanx for they reply, its always nice to c others want to help/correct when its needed ;)

Edit to add: maybe you can help me with this @TexasDomer , I am following the steps provided in said thread, I added tss two days ago just to help my cycle along as I was out of town, so I want to do a wc but I am not supposed to for 2 weeks, what would you do if you were me?

Edit 2: op, your snails will make it if mine did lol ;)

8. TexasDomer

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were the OP in this thread :) The pink is messing me up - harder to see the red OP banner.

You should start your own thread so we don't hijack this one :)

9. Ms rose

Agreed, there is already a thread called fast fishless cycle, you can go there and answer if you'd like,why is it pink now btw

10. TexasDomer

Mike created a thread about why it's pink. You can change it by clicking on the link at the top of the page.