Cycling help....again

Highlander88

Hands up who asks too many questions.... Haha

So I did a thing. At the risk of messing up my cycle too. I emptied all the water out of my 25 gallon in to another tank. I tossed away most of the gravel, but kept a small chunk of it and put it in a filter bag and into my filter. I laid black aquarium sand down and filled the tank up with about 25% of the old water and the rest of the way up with new treated water. Planted my plants and root tabs.

I really want kuhli loaches and I want them to be at their very most comfortable when living with me so that's why I changed to sand. And I figured I may as well do it one week in to my cycle instead of after my cycle and risk messing up hugely.

So yesterday was 1 week exactly into my cycle. My pH was 6.4, ammonia was 8.0 ppm, nitrite was 1.0 ppm and nitrate was 10 ppm

After doing everything I did tonight I tested the water again to see if I messed up and how bad it was and here are the results. pH was 7.6, ammonia 2.0 ppm, nitrites were 0 and nitrates were at 5.0 pp.

Questions... Since the nitrites are at 0 today did I mess up the cycle badly? Should I add a little ammonia? (I had been using Fritz ammonia) or shall I let everything settle and leave it alone now that I'm happy with the substrate? Should I add some fritz zyme nitrifying bacteria? Ok I think that's it.....

I appreciate all the help I get from this forum!

Lucyn

Hello, a very underrated amount of beneficial bacteria lives in your substrate. It's recommended to at maximum change or take out only 50% at a time, ideally less. It's likely that's where it was established a lot since your cycle is early. I wouldn't add more ammonia, the more you add the more it'll take the system to process. I try to keep it at a low number, as long as there's something. That ammonia will eventually process into nitrites, but since you still have somewhat of a cycle it'll likely process quicker than if it was a fresh start. Just monitor those numbers and if you don't have zero ammonia and some nitrites, I'd be concerned. If you do see some nitrites, that's a good sign and that means your aquarium is processing that ammonia appropriately.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Azedenkae
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
CapitalGains
Replies