Cycling: First Weekly Water Test

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by pinksprklmonkey, Apr 10, 2010.

1. pinksprklmonkeyValued MemberMember

Ok, so I got my water test today, and here are the results for the two tanks I am cycling.

55 gallon (been cycling for 7 days)

Ammonia- 2.0 ppm
    Nitrite- 0 ppm
    Nitrate- 0 ppm

10 gallon (been cycling for 8 days)

Ammonia- 0 ppm
    Nitrite- 5.0 ppm
    Nitrate- 5.0 ppm

I excited to see the 10 gallon numbers. The Ammonia seems awfully high in my 55 gallon. Both tanks got gravel from my LFS (different tanks though), and both have shrimp in them. My boyfriend got a little over zealous and put 3 shrimp in the big one, do you think that will affect the cycle negatively? I could take some out. Let me know what you think! Thanks.

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I think it sounds okay for now. Give it another week and see where the 55 is.

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? Seems too soon to have them. (Don't mean to be a bummer, sorry.)

3. pinksprklmonkeyValued MemberMember

I did actually. All the readings (nitrate, ammonia, nitrite) came out 0 ppm. Hmm... I hope I did the test right. I could test again, but I thought I read somewhere on here that if you used gravel from an existing tank it was possible to get nitrate readings in a couple days. I have no idea really, very much a newbie. Thanks for the quick feedback.

4. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I didn't realize you seeded with gravel. :) That certainly can move things along!

You have to shake the nitrate bottle #2 for a long time, bang it on the counter.

5. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Or do what I do and dance with the bottle bouncing all over the place hitting it on this and that....works for me...but then again I can be a little strange. XD. Seeded gravel can bost along the cycling process by days. Good job on that! I would see about geting some filter material though it would work even better then.

6. pinksprklmonkeyValued MemberMember

Awesome. And I'm not opposed to some dancing with the bottle, I'm a theatre person! haha! Anyway, I guess its just going quickly which is fantastic! Yay!

7. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Lol. Probely but Its usually easier to cycle a small tank then a big one...but the big ones are easier to keep up...I find that an oddity. What do you plan on stocking the tanks with if you dont mind me asking?

8. pinksprklmonkeyValued MemberMember

For now the 10 is my quarantine tank while I stock my 55, and then maybe a small school of something like cardinal tetras, or a betta with either some pigmy corries or a snail. I have also considered one dwarf gourami with pigmy corries. Haven't really decided for sure, since I'm pretty sure it will be a good while before my 55 is stocked.

As for my 55 I think I'm going to put in some cherry barbs, lemon tetras, fancy guppies, one angelfish, some corries (maybe panda, or juli but something fairly small) and 4 german blue rams.

This may be subject to change though, because my LFS doesn't have consistent stock of all of these since they get them from small local breeders.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  9. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

you may want to consider keeping the 10 for a hospital tank - if one fish gets sick in the 55g, you may not want to treat the entire tank. Just a thought.

10. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I wouldnt put a betta in, they are not good community fish, even the females. But the rest of the stockings sound good. Can't wait for pictures.

11. pinksprklmonkeyValued MemberMember

Well the betta would go in the 10 gallon, with a snail or corries. It wouldn't go into the 55. And I was thinking that if the betta picked on the corries or the snail it would just go into my 55.

Yeah, I was thinking about keeping the 10 as a hospital tank. Especially since I decided if my 55 went well I'd set up my 30. Which I'm thinking cold be 2 fancy goldfish, and maybe a couple american flag fish... oi, I haven't even gotten my first tank cycled and I already have MTS!!! :;laughing

12. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Lol MTS hits every member on the site at some point. Welcome to the family lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice