Question Cycling Filter, Too Much Ammonia

Brok3n

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm cycling my first saltwater tank, which has no live stock. I have live rock and I added turbo start. I added ammonia to the tank and I'm worried that it was excessive. My API test kit showed that the N03 was in excess of 8ppm. I was worried that too much ammonia would kill the biological elements of the tank rather than assist in cycling the tank. Is that possible?

Asomeone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
While it is possible to kill of the bb with too much ammonia I'd theorize that as long as you left the tank alone for long enough the BB will eventually bring the ammonia down. That being said I personally would perform a water change with proper RoDi water, test, and retreat to dose ammonia to a more manageable level.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Brok3n said:
I'm cycling my first saltwater tank, which has no live stock. I have live rock and I added turbo start. I added ammonia to the tank and I'm worried that it was excessive. My API test kit showed that the N03 was in excess of 8ppm. I was worried that too much ammonia would kill the biological elements of the tank rather than assist in cycling the tank. Is that possible?
Tapwater or RODI water? Also be aware that the API kit can produce false positives for ammonia (although with a reading that high it's unlikely). Red Sea, Salifert, Hannah Digital, or Nyos are all much better options.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom