Cycling Extra Media

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Kaelico, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Kaelico

Kaelico Valued Member Member

I'm about to start cycling a new tank and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on putting extra media (ceramic) into a filter so that it cycles with the regular media and can be put into a different filter on a different tank later once it's cycled to instantly or quickly cycle the new tank. Is this possible? Can I have 2-3 bags of ceramic media in my filter? It's an Aquaclear power filter (40- 70). Any advice is appreciated.

Sidenote: I was also questioning whether or not I should use the carbon that comes with the filter. Some people use it, some say it's useless and a hassle. Any thoughts?

2. C

Chaory Valued Member Member

I use ceramic rings in my HOB filters. If I want to quick start a new tank, I just move it to the new tank, but I also use a sponge filter in all of my tanks, for the extra bio.

About the carbon, it is up to you. But it has to be replace once a month. It's not necessarily needed, but it's up to you. I don't use them.

3. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

Kaelico Valued Member Member

Ok so can I have more than one bag of ceramic media in a filter at a time? I probably won't use the carbon, and I have a sponge in the filter.

4. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I have 3 bags of ceramic media for biological, filter floss, plus a large sponge for mechanical filtration. I don't see a problem with it. When you do decide to move a bag over to a new tank, I persoNlly don't think it will have a large impact with your original tanks biological load.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice