Cycling Extra Media

1. Kaelico

Kaelico Valued Member Member

I'm about to start cycling a new tank and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on putting extra media (ceramic) into a filter so that it cycles with the regular media and can be put into a different filter on a different tank later once it's cycled to instantly or quickly cycle the new tank. Is this possible? Can I have 2-3 bags of ceramic media in my filter? It's an Aquaclear power filter (40- 70). Any advice is appreciated.

Sidenote: I was also questioning whether or not I should use the carbon that comes with the filter. Some people use it, some say it's useless and a hassle. Any thoughts?

2. C

Chaory Valued Member Member

I use ceramic rings in my HOB filters. If I want to quick start a new tank, I just move it to the new tank, but I also use a sponge filter in all of my tanks, for the extra bio.

About the carbon, it is up to you. But it has to be replace once a month. It's not necessarily needed, but it's up to you. I don't use them.

3. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

Kaelico Valued Member Member

Ok so can I have more than one bag of ceramic media in a filter at a time? I probably won't use the carbon, and I have a sponge in the filter.

4. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I have 3 bags of ceramic media for biological, filter floss, plus a large sponge for mechanical filtration. I don't see a problem with it. When you do decide to move a bag over to a new tank, I persoNlly don't think it will have a large impact with your original tanks biological load.