Cycling Estimation

1. soccermatt Member Member

hi,
    i got my tank a couple of days ago and started cycling it right away with fish food. on day 4 the amonia read .65 about and nitrite 0. on day 5 the amonia read about 1 and nitrite 0. Today day 6, amonia read .5.
    Would anyone be able to estimate how much long my cycle has to complete.
    Thanks

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

You've got a ways to go, be patient. It could take a month or more.

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I agree you have probably 4 weeks or so..its so hard to estimate when it will be done but average time...how about dropping a piece of raw shrimp in the tank in a stocking net type thing? that way you dont have to worry about adding it daily and no mess on the bottom of the tank that could turn to fungus or algae?

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I agree with Shawnie. Cycling with food can get really nasty.
    We kept a tank cycled with food. By the time we wanted to add fish I had to tear down the tank to get all the food out. What a mess!

5. erk419 Member Member

Instead of food why dont you cycle your tank with pure ammonia, that way you dont have to worry about making a mess

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

that would be the most controlled choice, I agree. Some people have a tough time finding the ammonia though...

7. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Would it work to keep adding the food to the toe end of a new-from-package nylon stocking? Maybe hang the stocking from the center beam or something like that so that most of the nylon is in the water, but the open end is dry so it could easily be opened and food added.

Idk. Might work and that way the food won't get everywhere as it disintegrates. :)

8. erk419 Member Member

If you live in the US a lot of walmarts carry it or hardware stores like ace, lowes and menards.

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

OP doesn't live in the US. I do absolutely agree that ammonia cycling is much less messy that food or shrimp. :)

10. erk419 Member Member

Sorry not use to this forum the other forum I'm a member of doesn't have flags next there name. Living in Canada you should be able to find it at walmart of a hardware store.

11. Llama Well Known Member Member

If you're using the shrimp method, when you remove it from the tank - DON'T SMELL IT

Best advice I can give you ;)

The method itself works, used it myself.

12. Elvishswimmer Member Member

Hi, I'm from Canada

Look in your local Safeway, that is where I found ammonia. Be sure to get the "Pure Ammonia" variety. The ingredients will say ammonium hydroxide and water.

If Not, the shrimp method works well too!

13. rae64 Well Known Member Member

yeah, look for the grocery or drug store brand, the generic stuff is the way to go. i got lucky and had some that worked right on the shelf that is used for cleaning.

14. Jackie Frost Member Member

Not my Walmart or Walgreens or Publix Food Stores. I couldn't evn find 100% pure ammonia at Amazon! All of their amonia's had surfacant? (soap). Deadly to fish. It's what drove me to Tetra Safe Start.:;dk