5 Gallon Tank Cycling by filter

Hobbyist

I bought a small sponge filter today as I am planning to get a betta tank, my question is , if I put this sponge filter in my main tank which I started cycling it from last April, would the sponge be a good home for bacteria within a month or two ?Also if I put it in the new tank should I do something special? Like squeeze the filter in the water or something or I can just leave it there for a week or so and the tank should be cycled.
Note that I am not planning to cycle the tank ONLY with the sponge filter, I am planning to cycle it with a raw piece of shrimp or something

Flyfisha

Seeding a filter takes a month or so. Putting a new filter in a cycled will mean it’s almost an instant cycle when added to a new tank.

Its all about the amount of daily poop in the first tank . A community tank with many fish will definitely grow enough bacteria for a single betta.

No need to squeeze the new filter but you need to be patient waiting a month is all you need do.

The new betta tank should have old ornaments, gravel , wood etc added as well. Any hard surface will have a little bacteria on it as well. Adding these things temporarily for a month.

Upvote 0

Hobbyist

Seeding a filter takes a month or so. Putting a new filter in a cycled will mean it’s almost an instant cycle when added to a new tank.

Its all about the amount of daily poop in the first tank . A community tank with many fish will definitely grow enough bacteria for a single betta.

No need to squeeze the new filter but you need to be patient waiting a month is all you need do.

The new betta tank should have old ornaments, gravel , wood etc added as well. Any hard surface will have a little bacteria on it as well. Adding these things temporarily for a month.
Ok that’s helpful, thanks for answering here and on my other thread

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Many of us have spare filters running in tank always. Being able to start another tank at a moment’s notice .

Upvote 0

Hobbyist

Many of us have spare filters running in tank always. Being able to start another tank at a moment’s notice .
Thats cool

Hey
I just came again to ask you if I should connect the sponge filter to an air pump or it could be successfully cycled without being running ?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

20 Gallon Tank Basically fish "in cycle"
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
55 Gallon Tank Seeding a 55 gallon tank