20 Gallon Tank Cycling at room temp; recs for 'bacteria in a bottle'

LanceDog

I just started cycling my crayfish tank the other day. It doesn't have a heater, and basically, I don't have enough outlets for a heater. My room temp is 68 degrees. How much slower will my good bacteria form compared to a heated tank?

I'm not new to cycling at all and know I could get this tank cycled faster if I borrow media from one of my many tanks. I've also used Tetra Safestart in the past which I swear by (usually in combination with established media from my other tanks). I'm interested in fiddling around with other products. I've used Stability in the past and it didn't do a single thing for me. What other products are out there that may/may not work that I could experiment with? I know of Dr Tim's One and Only, but I'm looking more for something along the lines of 'well we don't know if this is a scam or not'. I don't care about getting this tank cycled fast or anything, I really just want to experiment and see what happens.

The2dCour

For the luls you could try a shrimp food like bacterae or something cheaper that has 'other' bacteria, though I've never seen anyone claim it could cycle a tank.

LanceDog

I don't think I could will myself to waste Bacter AE like that. I'm thinking more of like API Quickstart or something. Or even the Petsmart/Top Fin junk. The latter would be a real gamble.

The2dCour

LanceDog said:
I don't think I could will myself to waste Bacter AE like that. I'm thinking more of like API Quickstart or something. Or even the Petsmart/Top Fin junk. The latter would be a real gamble.
You could always throw your $20 in the water and see if any BB come off it? Maybe you could even save the $20 after.

FreshwaterCole

LanceDog said:
I just started cycling my crayfish tank the other day. It doesn't have a heater, and basically, I don't have enough outlets for a heater. My room temp is 68 degrees. How much slower will my good bacteria form compared to a heated tank?

I'm not new to cycling at all and know I could get this tank cycled faster if I borrow media from one of my many tanks. I've also used Tetra Safestart in the past which I swear by (usually in combination with established media from my other tanks). I'm interested in fiddling around with other products. I've used Stability in the past and it didn't do a single thing for me. What other products are out there that may/may not work that I could experiment with? I know of Dr Tim's One and Only, but I'm looking more for something along the lines of 'well we don't know if this is a scam or not'. I don't care about getting this tank cycled fast or anything, I really just want to experiment and see what happens.
Hello,
Have not kept crayfish before, they look cool and sound fun to have though!
Maybe some cheap knockoffs ? Lol not sure of any brand names etc...
Or if you know of anyone thats selling bacteria colonies like some lfs etc...sounds like it will be a fun experiment(s) either way though!
FreshwaterCole said:
Hello,
Have not kept crayfish before, they look cool and sound fun to have though!
Maybe some cheap knockoffs ? Lol not sure of any brand names etc...
Or if you know of anyone thats selling bacteria colonies like some lfs etc...sounds like it will be a fun experiment(s) either way though!
Hold on, lol I found one on Amazon...
Activ Beta by Natures Ocean, Instant Water for Betta and All Fresh Water Fish- BIO ACTIV Live AQUEOUS....

Top Bottom