55 Gallon Tank Cycling and Tetra Safestart

Mortisha
I have combed through all the threads on this subject and I still have questions. I upgraded from a 29gal(which was running for 2rys) to a 55gal on Feb 25th since then it appears I am going thru a cycle. Nitrates have always been present, started to get a ammonia spike a couple of weeks ago it was around .50 to 1.0 I've been doing pwc every day. Nitrites started to rise about 1wk ago. They have gotten really high the last 2dys around 1.0, I have done 50% water changes because its so high. On top of going thru a cycle 1 of my cory cats appeared to have ich so I started treating that on 3/6 with Tetra Lifegaurd. It cleared up on that fish and on the 9th day of treatment I noticed my Parrot Cichlids now had white spots so I switched to Seachem ParaGuard and they are better now but really need to be treated longer to ensure all the ich is dead. I have a bottle of Tetra Safestart and was wondering if I should go ahead and use it to try and speed up cycle? The ammonia in tank has been dropping as of last night it appears to be a color between .25 and 0. My concern is if I do use the Safestart and the nitrites are as high as they have been I'm gonna have to do pwc and that would make using the Safestart a total waste because your not suppose to do any water changes for 2wks and if you have to you need to add more Safestart and its very expensive. And to top it off my husband is at his wits end with all the water I am using. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Just a side note I did transfer all substrate, decor and canister filter from 29gal. I also would have to suspend the ich treatment because I can't add the Safestart if I'm using medication.

jdhef
I would have though that since you moved the 306 to the new tank you wouldn't have experianced a minI cycle, unless you added a bunch more fish. But even if you had added too many additional fish too quickly, I would have though that by now you would have zeroed back out.

But it is possible that the Ich meds killed off some of your bacteria. So if you added fish, went into a minI cycle which caused an Ich out break and before the bacteria caught up to the new bioload the Ich meds killed off bacteria that could explain the long duration of this minI cycle.

But since ammonia is on the way down, it appears your bacteria is starting to catch back up, so if it were me I would just tuff it out and continue the water changes. It would seem you'll be cycled again soon.

But if you chose to use SafeStart, do enough water changes to get your ammonia and nitrite as close to 0ppm as possible. then wait 24 hours (so the water conditioner does not cause the SafeStart to fail) then pour in the entire, well shaken, appropriate sized bottle of SafeStart.

I would suspect that the SafeStart should be able to process that nitrite quickly enough that you do not get a large nitrite spike (but you will most likely get a small one, but your fish should be fine).

Best of luck!

fishnewbie33
SeaChem doesn't specifically state that ParaGuard will not affect the beneficial bacteria (as it does with some of its other meds), so I would suspect that it will have some affect (as it does treat bacterial infectiosn as well).

ParaGuard treatment is added daily, until treatment is completed. I believe you could do a water change as necessary (depending on the water parameters), then add more ParaGuard. SeaChem has good customer service, so you could either call or email them from the above page.

FYI, Tetra states that LifeGuard will not affect the biological filter.

I would continue with treatment for ICH until the infection has cleared (plus whatever wait time after is recommended), then use Tetra SafeStart to recycle the tank.

ricmcc
I think that it does sound like your cycle is picking up speed, so I would concentrate on the ick, and keep your ammonia and nitrate levels within a safe range just through water change.
Raising your tank temp might (should) hasten both the ich treatment and your tank cycle, as you obviously do have BB going as your ammonia levels are dropping.
It seems quite possible that be the time you have finished the ick treatment, your cycle might be complete as well.
As to what to tell a spouse about water usage, all I can say is, Good Luck.
Perhaps if he has a hobby that involves spending a bit of money, you might try pointing that out, very, very cautiously. Best of luck on all issues, rick

Mortisha
jdhef said:
I would have though that since you moved the 306 to the new tank you wouldn't have experianced a minI cycle, unless you added a bunch more fish. But even if you had added too many additional fish too quickly, I would have though that by now you would have zeroed back out.

But it is possible that the Ich meds killed off some of your bacteria. So if you added fish, went into a minI cycle which caused an Ich out break and before the bacteria caught up to the new bioload the Ich meds killed off bacteria that could explain the long duration of this minI cycle.

But since ammonia is on the way down, it appears your bacteria is starting to catch back up, so if it were me I would just tuff it out and continue the water changes. It would seem you'll be cycled again soon.

But if you chose to use SafeStart, do enough water changes to get your ammonia and nitrite as close to 0ppm as possible. then wait 24 hours (so the water conditioner does not cause the SafeStart to fail) then pour in the entire, well shaken, appropriate sized bottle of SafeStart.

I would suspect that the SafeStart should be able to process that nitrite quickly enough that you do not get a large nitrite spike (but you will most likely get a small one, but your fish should be fine).

Best of luck!
Thanks jdhef, The ich came in on 1 of the Cory's my daughter bought for me.He was in horrible shape. He had major dorsal and pectoral fin loss but all fins have grown back and he looks great. She wanted to surprise me and had added them while I wasn't home. I emailed Seachem before I started using the Paragaurd and was told it wouldn't affect BB and I am only using half the recommended dosage due to scaleless fish. I am really hoping that I am closing in on tank being fully cycled. Thanks so much for your advise.

Mortisha
ricmcc said:
I think that it does sound like your cycle is picking up speed, so I would concentrate on the ick, and keep your ammonia and nitrate levels within a safe range just through water change.
Raising your tank temp might (should) hasten both the ich treatment and your tank cycle, as you obviously do have BB going as your ammonia levels are dropping.
It seems quite possible that be the time you have finished the ick treatment, your cycle might be complete as well.
As to what to tell a spouse about water usage, all I can say is, Good Luck.
Perhaps if he has a hobby that involves spending a bit of money, you might try pointing that out, very, very cautiously. Best of luck on all issues, rick
That's what I'm hoping ricmcc, I have raised temp but unfortunately the heaters I have are maxed out and temp is around 81-82. The 1 heater is from the 29gal even though its not rated for 55 I figured it could help the large heater which is rated for up to 75gal. I have ordered a Eheim Jager and its due here Thurs so once I test it and make sure it's heating accurately I'm gonna add it along with the other larger heater I have in tank. Thanks for the advise a lot of y'all are experts in the hobby and I really needed other opinions on what may be going on.

Mortisha
fishnewbie33 said:
SeaChem doesn't specifically state that ParaGuard will not affect the beneficial bacteria (as it does with some of its other meds), so I would suspect that it will have some affect (as it does treat bacterial infectiosn as well).

ParaGuard treatment is added daily, until treatment is completed. I believe you could do a water change as necessary (depending on the water parameters), then add more ParaGuard. SeaChem has good customer service, so you could either call or email them from the above page.

FYI, Tetra states that LifeGuard will not affect the biological filter.

I would continue with treatment for ICH until the infection has cleared (plus whatever wait time after is recommended), then use Tetra SafeStart to recycle the tank.
Thanks fishnewbie33, I emailed Seachem before using and was told it wouldn't affect BB and I am only using half the recommended dosage and was also told it only last 24hrs just like Prime. The fish are not showing any signs of the ich anymore but wasn't sure how much longer I should treat. The Lifeguard said 5dys but since I also cut dosage in half on that that's why I've been treating for longer. The Paragaurd doesn't say how long to treat, I emailed Seachem about it but haven't heard back. What do you think? Thanks

Mortisha
Water test tonight

Ammonia almost 0
Nitrite between .25 and .50
Nitrate between 10 and 20
Ph 6.8 which kinda concerns me because in the 29gal it tested a consistant 7.6
Could it be from tank not fully cycled and it will settle back at 7.6?

I am not going to do a water change tonight and just add Prime. I am also going to suspend ich treatment since fish are showing no signs of ich and I did treat with Safegaurd for 11dys. Hopefully tank is almost cycled.

fishnewbie33
Mortisha said:
Thanks fishnewbie33, I emailed Seachem before using and was told it wouldn't affect BB and I am only using half the recommended dosage and was also told it only last 24hrs just like Prime. The fish are not showing any signs of the ich anymore but wasn't sure how much longer I should treat. The Lifeguard said 5dys but since I also cut dosage in half on that that's why I've been treating for longer. The Paragaurd doesn't say how long to treat, I emailed Seachem about it but haven't heard back. What do you think? Thanks
I emailed them about Paraguard, and got the following response:

"Thank you for your email. When dosing ParaGuard we recommend to dose until you see signs of improvement or stop using the medication if you see signs of stress. When first receiving fish you can either dose straight to the water column or you can create the 1 hour dip, either of these would work to help fight against infections."

And
"ParaGuard is safe for all fish species. If you think you fish will exhibit sensitivity, then it is perfectly fine to use a lower than recommended dose and then slowly build to the full recommended dose to give your fish time to acclimate to the medication. ParaGuard treats a broad range of infections so you will be able to effectively treat any type of infection using the dosage listed on the bottle or on our website."

Mortisha
fishnewbie33 said:
I emailed them about Paraguard, and got the following response:

"Thank you for your email. When dosing ParaGuard we recommend to dose until you see signs of improvement or stop using the medication if you see signs of stress. When first receiving fish you can either dose straight to the water column or you can create the 1 hour dip, either of these would work to help fight against infections."

And
"ParaGuard is safe for all fish species. If you think you fish will exhibit sensitivity, then it is perfectly fine to use a lower than recommended dose and then slowly build to the full recommended dose to give your fish time to acclimate to the medication. ParaGuard treats a broad range of infections so you will be able to effectively treat any type of infection using the dosage listed on the bottle or on our website."
Thanks fishnewbie33,
I'm glad you were able to get a response from them. I still have not received response to my email to them. None of the fish show any signs of ich so I'm guessing the 11dy treatment of Lifegaurd then the 2dy treatment of Paragaurd may have killed the ich. I'll just monitor my fish to see if they start showing signs of any reaccurance. I got my Eheim Jager heater today so I bumped the heat to 83. Love this heater it is spot on so far, will know for sure in 24hrs. Thanks for all your help.

Latest threads

Top Bottom