Cycling and stocking my new 37 gallon freshwater tank.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by crystalm04, Jul 9, 2015.

1. crystalm04

crystalm04Valued MemberMember

I started cycling my tank with API Quick start that I used in my previous tank. My PH, NItrates, Nitrites, and ammonia levels were all ideal so I added 3 mollies, 2 platies, and my common Pleco who Ive yet to rehome. Today I had a small bacteria bloom a PH of 7.6 ppm and my ammonia was .25 ppm Nitrates and Nitrites were 0 so I did a partial water change probably no more than 25 percent of water. I used a conditioner and a bacteria supplement. Waiting to see if it clears up overnight. Also in my rush to get my tank set up because I had an overcrowding issue in my other tank I overlooked the size filter that came with my new tank. It came with a Top Fin 40 HOB that only pumps up to 200 gallons an hour. I know I need something that pumps no less than 300 gallons an hour. How bad has that rookie mistake set me back and how do I go about starting off with a new filter? Also looking at eventually getting some Harlequin Rasbora once my tank is better established. Yay or nay on those?

2. I keep fish

I keep fishWell Known MemberMember

I would let the tank cycle then think about a new filter. Then when adding the other filter add the media you are using right now.Everyone makes mistakes its apart of learning in this hobby.
    As for the harlequin rasboras once the tank is cycled a school of them would work just fine

3. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Thank you. I didn't want to disturb something and end up with dead fish. I guess since I have such small few fish I can get away with the smaller filter for now.

4. Aloeb1

Aloeb1Valued MemberMember

It doesn't sound like it is cycled

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

You could add another filter in addition to the one you have, that way you don't lose any bacteria you may have and it will have more places to grow. Rasboras should be ok once you're cycled, just make sure to get at least 6 since they school.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. ricmcc

ricmccWell Known MemberMember

I would start off the filter that you wish to have on that tank by adding it to the current tank, and simply transferring the old bacteria laden media to the new filter, along with whatever portion of new media came with the tank; BB are rather slow as bacteria grow, but do reproduce at about 28-34 hours intervals. As they do not act as a team, such as, Ok, Guys and heck, we are gender less, but oh well, we the Gipperless will Divide in 28.334 hours, but rather bacteria divide as food becomes available, and therefore a half cycled tank filter will cycle quite quickly if not pushed too far as some bacteria will divide immediately.
    If you understood that, I do nominate you for a noble prize, as I certainly don't, although there was a chimp joke in there somewhere, but more simply put, just add your old media to the new filter, add some Prime if indicated or just do a WC again if indicated, and within a day you will be cycled to your current bioload. This leads, of course, to if you had good water readings prior to your seeing that the filter was too small, think again.
    The degree to which any tank is cycled depends more upon the bioload in the tank than on the filter--if you had good readings with your old filter, they would not improve in the least if you moved to a Fluval FX6, for example, to pick an extreme. So if your water reading are good, expect a seamless, or absent cycle--just remember to introduce new fish gradually, so as to not get ahead of your cycle.
    BTW, you mention a pH of 7.6 PPM--that was a typo, I think, something that I am very familiar with; PPM normally expressed a degree of hardness or concentration of a given chemical..
    All the best, rick

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  7. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

No offense but what????? LOL! Ok so my water is still a bit cloudy. When I add my new filter and transfer media from old filter into it should I add some TSS? I started cycling this one with API quick start and am obviously still cycling from the looks of it. I'm going to take some readings before I do anything else first to see where I'm at. If I have to do a water change should I do it before adding new filter or after?

Thank you and yes I was planning on getting at least 6 to 8 Rasboras. I'm quite excited about those. My tank needs some activity and I think a schooling fish would be nice. Do you think once my tank is established I should add them all at once or do so gradually?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
  8. Bijou88

I've always heard you can add them all at once since they're usually very small when purchased, but you can do it either way.

9. ricmcc

Sorry, I was just making fun of myself (and you would, too, had you seen me replacing the cottage plumbing yesterday afternoon:) ).
    That, and I will never use ten words when 100 will do, and even further, getting your cycle in order is a simple thing made more difficult by thinking too much upon it---ok, the short version, My first attempt at this concept:)
    -the last readings that of yours that I read seemed fine, if i read you correctly, even with a perceived to be undersized filter
    -your filter size has very little to do with your current cycle; you will need a larger one to push more water and allow a larger biobed should your bioload increase
    -then, given that your water readings as last reported are those of a cycled tank, if you want a larger filter, just buy one, and transfer all of the media from old filter to new filter, it will not alter your biobed at all, as the biobed varies directly with the bioload, not tank or filter size.
    I am sorry for stated this in the manner that I did, I was just hoping that someone would remember the Gipper, or at least Ray Guns of Woodstock).:). Best of luck, and again sorry for having been so, what, whimsical, maybe, verbose surely:) rick
    BTW, bacterial blooms are common in new tanks, or newly set up ones, at least, and have nothing to do with the BB in your tank; they seem to be quite harmless and are self limiting, so your best action now might well be no action.

10. ricmcc

I would suggest adding any fish gradually, as in half of what you wish, the other two days later. Keeping schooling fish for a day or two in less the ideal numbers will stress them slightly, but not nearly to the degree of getting ahead of your cycle. You can help the first arrivals by simple measures, such as not using the tank light yet, using ambient light alone will help reduce stress. rick

11. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Thanks Rick. And I wasn't making fun of you I just had to read over a few times. LOL. I appreciate your help and you are right. I need to not complicate things any further. Tank and fish seem to be doing just fine. Will add new filter a soon as I can and go from there. thanks again.

Ok thank you. Ill probably just do 4 at first and then add a few more a few days later.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
  12. ricmcc

HEY' or OI, I wasnna thinking that you be makin fun of me , I do resent that, as I tend to occupy meself maling fun oh me, eh). OK, well ok, you can join in, but it is abouot as sportin as would be the shooting of a sleeping deer, I am telling ya.
    Speaking of which, a brief sketch of my hamlet: last winter a school closed down for a half day while a moose entered the school. I truly hope that they were studying Animal Farm, 4 legs good, 2 legs better, at the time. Wildlife People up here returned him to wherever he came from, two blocks down, he was visiting the salt lick laid out for him, no tranq gun , they just called him.
    I love over-government, although I do not own a gun:), he was just wantin an education.
    -my Lab Retriever is now going over 17, and having survived our 2 ferrets, Nick and Nora, and still living with 5 cats, feels that he has done his share. I agree with him, so we now work the same hours.
    We keep our back door open as the cats out voted us-so, we are now a drop in centre for squirrels, chipmunks, skunks (they are quite friendly, so long as you do not startle them:) ), and the odd raccoon-they all happily jump or climb over MacKenzie, the afor mentioned dog. He just on occasion opens an eye, as did Nelson, which neatly sums up the nature of our Hamlet.
    As to why I am telling you this, well, I'll accept that any guess beats mine:)----best to ya,rick

13. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Rick you are hilarious. Now that I got new filter up and running my top wont fit on my tank. one thing after another..... but I can get it cut to fit. Speaking of ferrets, pet store I went to who will now be getting all my business thanks to the fact that they are going to rehome my common pleco and were very helpful, well they had 4 ferrets laying around as you walk in. Next thing I know my kids are holding two of em. I was like absolutely not!!! Sounds like you have quite the fur ball haven home. :)

14. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ferrets are cute furballs, but they're illegal here in California so we cant legally own one...

15. Bijou88

My parents' house is kinda like that, they have flip flop cat doors for their cats and they get random strays, racoons and opossums from time to time that figure out the doors. The cats bring in weird things too, we've gotten bats, voles, moles, snakes, and a full grown duck once. They live across the street from a river so we get all kinds of odd wildlife.

I didn't know ferrets were illegal in ca, how sad! :(

16. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

California can be a weird state. ;)

17. ricmcc

I notice that I neglected to mention just what was the Him who closed the school for a few hours. It was a moose. Arthur, by name.
    Seriously, I wrote a bit about it in or local piece of paper, The Packet and Times. They can fax you a copy of the 2014 years issues if you do not mind wasting 2-3 pieces of paper:).
    Ferrets are likely the most entertaining, and the most irritating pets that I have ever kept (I am excluding children, for the moment). I love the little (insert word here) I will stop at that, as I could go on for hours about them--you will have to trust me on that:) best to ya

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice