Cycling And Adding Plants?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by pibbles101, Apr 20, 2018.

1. pibbles101New MemberMember

Hey all, I'm am about to start cycling a 120-gallon tank. I want to add live plants well before I add fish. When in the cycle is it safe to start adding plants? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. puffer boiWell Known MemberMember

you can add plants at any time during the cycle, they also help cycle a little bit.

3. oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Hello pibb...

Aquatic plants grow well in water with a level of nitrogen in it. Fish are just the opposite. Plants help steady the tank water during the cycling process. Especially, the floating kinds that take nutrients in through their leaves. They'll do a much better job of tank filtration than the plants that must be planted in the bottom material.

Old

4. pibbles101New MemberMember

So I could start adding plants pretty soon when the ammonia starts changing to nitrite?

5. oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

pibb...

You can add plants to the tank any time. They prefer more acidic tank water, where most aquarium fish prefer a neutral pH or water a little more basic.

Old

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice