Cycling Advice

1. G

GoldieB New Member Member

Hi, I have started cycling a 20 gallon long aquarium. I spoke with the Seachem rep., and found out what they recommend as far as using their Prime and Stability products. I am not using fish to cycle it; and have been adding fish food to help with establishing the good bacteria in the tank. I tested it today, and the ammonia and nitrites were at 0, and the nitrate was at 0,25. According to what I have read, these are good readings, and freshwater fish should do well in it. My question is, I know I have read that it takes a minimum of 2 weeks; and perhaps even longer to properly cycle a tank. By adding the Prime and Stability, am I interfering with the natural cycling of the aquarium? If I add a few fish now, and have to continue adding the Prime or Stability to neutralize the ammonia and nitrites, will ?hat harm any fish I might have in the aquarium?. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give

2. Gdpierce79

Gdpierce79 Valued Member Member

How long have you been cycling?
    How much food do you add per day?
    Have you done any water changes?
    Edit: What test kit do you have? Strip or liquid?

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    G

It has been about 8 days since I started cycling. I add a small pinch it of fish food in the morning and in the evening, I did a water change - about 15% this morning.

I also washed the filter pad out in the aquarium water I took out of the tank, but did not touch the sponge bio media,

4. k

katiepotatie New Member Member

How often are you doing water changes? What type of test kit are you using? Prime is used to condition the water and bind harmful toxins for a short period but honestly it only makes tap water safe for fish. Stability is a product to help the beneficial bacteria estlabish. With those readings water changes are not necessary at the moment.

5. OP
    OP
    G

Hi, I am using an API test kit. I did one 15% water change a few days ago, as the water is rather cloudy. I am trying to understand why the Seachem rep told me to even use Prime, since I told her I am doing a fish-less cycle. My concern is that I'm seeing "great" test results that would indicate I can put a few fish in the tank; but I know that is because the Prime is dealing with the ammonia, and I know that the tank is not yet established, because I have only been cycling it since 6/15. Do you think I could continue using the Prime and Stability, to keep the numbers where they are, and add a few small neons to help the cycle along? I've read that the waste products from the fish can help speed up the cycle. Thank you for your reply!

6. OP
    OP
    G

Oh, I forgot to say that we are going out of town the middle of July, and there will not be anyone here to monitor the tank. Do you think the ammonia and nitrites will be eradicated naturally by then? At that point, the tank would have been cycling for a month.

7. OP
    OP
    G

Advertisement