Cycling Advice Is Needed

1. Ed204

Ed204 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Everyone,
    I'm planning to cycle my 10 gallon tank and I'm planning on doing a fish-in cycle.

I've already got some of the fish however, they are still in Quarintine.

My Final Stocking is:
    8-10x Ember Tetras
    1x Platy
    1x Peacock Gudgeons.

I'm going to cycle with Seachem Prime and Stability and I've cycled my 135 gallon with this method before and I know how to do it. However, I would like some other people's advice as well.

Question 1: I'm planning to add the Ember Tetras first and since they are small and have small Bio load I'm planning to add a group of 5 at a time.

Question 2: When should I wait to add more fish? If in 2-3 days I don't have a bump I'm good to add more fish right?

Question 3: I should only do extra water changes if I have a spike right?
    Otherwise, I should just do my normal water change schedule correct?

Thanks In Advance Guys!

@AllieSten @AngelTheGypsy You guys helped me before in cycling my tank, I would appreciate your guys help again, Thanks!

2. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Do you still have the 135 running? I would take some of the media from that filter and put it in the 10 for a quick cycle (not necessarily instant, but definitely faster).
    If you have liquid ammonia, you could test your cycle to see how strong it is. 3-4 ppm should allow you to add full stock, but depending on what you have in qt you may not need it that strong yet.

3. OP
    OP
    Ed204

I bought the 135 gallon from Ace Hardware and after checking everywhere there is no filter media, only 2 filter sponges inside.

I'll have the restart the cycle for my 10 gallon. I have 10 Ember Tetras and 1 Platy in Quarintine right now.

4. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Hi Everyone,
    I'm planning to cycle my 10 gallon tank using Prime and Stability and I'm still using the same ferts.

My Final Desired stock is:
    12x Ember Tetras
    1x Platy
    1x Betta (IF he gets along, which I think he will because he's been kept with other fish in the past)

The tank will have some Anubias in it and other plants to provide cover.

I'm planning to start the cycle by introducing 6x Ember Tetras and see if the Ammonia rises.

On the second week I'll add 6x more Ember Tetras

3rd week I'll add 1x Platy

And 4th week I'll add my betta

Does this sound good?
    All feedback will be greatly appreciated.

5. BravetheBetta

BravetheBetta Well Known Member Member

^^filter sponges work as filter media - if your 135 is cycled, you could just break off a little piece of the filter sponge, jam it into the filter for your 10G, and boom, cycle.

6. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Would this really work?

7. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi Ed,
    I have done many fish in cycles with prime and stability as the start up. I didn't loose any fish in the process either, you just follow the instructions on the bottle of stability for a week. You will need to be doing water changes often, keep a close eye on the water quality by testing it everyday in the first 2 weeks or until it is cycled.
    And yes, if you take a piece of the filter media/floss/sponge from your other cycled tank and place it in the new filter for the 10 gallon it will speed the process up right away, I would personally still use the stability as well to be sure :)

8. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Alright then, Thanks

9. fishtankwatcher

fishtankwatcher Valued Member Member

Yes as long as a source of ammonia (from fish/fish waste) is present to keep the BB alive =)