Cycling about finished..

saulPAB

Reaction score
So with my cycle almost done. I've really been researching on what sort of fish i want to put into the aquarium. I have a 20gallon(US) tank with a few fake plants and 3 medium to small decorations. The problem is.. there's such a large variety of FW fish out there that I'm at a complete loss as to what to choose.

I want a schooling fish (6 or so), an algae eater - maybe an oto or 2, and something else. I just can't decide! Everything looks so cool and there's so many different species its mind boggling! Not to mention I have to make sure everything i get is compatable and wont get too large for my tank or become overly territorial.

Anyway, i was wondering if anyone has advice or comments on a nice beginner set of fishies that have good personality and are on the easier side of caretaking. I just don't want to get in over my head and would rather start slow and learn everything i can before i try something crazy.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could get 6 harlequin rasboras and 6 cherry barbs for a 20 gallon tank. Both species are REALLY beautiful, quite small, and VERY peaceful. That would still leave you some space for an algae eater. Two - three Otos would be great; get at least 3 (or even 4) of them as they like to be in groups. You'll have to supplement their diet as they'll eat algae really fast and they'll be left hungry

If you have only few fake plants, get some more in order to provide a lot of hiding places for fish.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, definately get at least 3 Otos. Check out www.otocinclus.com for Oto info.
There are so many shoaling species, it would be hard to make a single recommendation...are there any kinds you really like?

saulPAB

Reaction score
i really appreciate all the suggestions, thank you guys!
i'm not peticular on any one species. i like how they ALL look. and i dont want to be picky on my first attempt!
i'm definitely doing 3 Otos! they sound fun!
i'm leaning towards some Neon tetras (6)
and i think either cherry barbs or rasboras. the problem with the rasboras is i cant find any local in orlando.

i'm also having trouble locating an actual LFS. having to rely on Petco and Petsmart is getting annoying because their fish tanks are in such bad condition

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom