55 Gallon Tank Cycling a tank with fish

chrisgriffin1234
Since I couldn't find any ammonia without surficant, what do I do to cycle a tank with fish?

I have 5 tetras, 1 pleco, and 1 plant in the tank right now. The plant has been in he tank for about a week and the fish have been in the tank about 12 hours and the filter has been running since I put the plant in.

oshawer
I know what u mean , as I didn't find easily too , try to find in pharmacies . as I found 100% pure concentrated ammonia in a pharmacy that make some compound medicines upon order

gunner13
oshawer said:
I know what u mean , as I didn't find easily too , try to find in pharmacies . as I found 100% pure concentrated ammonia in a pharmacy that make some compound medicines upon order
The op already has fish and if he adds more ammonia it will be certain death due to the high ammonia levels.

Have you got a test kit, apI test master liquid is the best. You will have to do daily water changes with prime or ammolock to detoxifie the ammonia for 24 hours until the next water change. All this until your tank is cycled.

Alternativly I would rush out and buy some tetra safe start and add it to your tank immediatly, with the fish in and wait for 10-14 days for your tank to cycle.

Nick

oshawer
I totally agree with gunner13 , what I meant from my previous post is when u can find an ammonia source if u still interested in fishless cycling

Wonkadonk
If you have fish in the tank you don't need to add any additional sources of ammonia. The fish will produce ammonia on their own through their waste. Pure ammonia is only used to cycle a tank that has no fish in it ("fishless" cycle).

Since you have fish in an un-cycled tank you will need to keep a close eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels, and perform frequent partial water changes over the next several weeks until the tank is cycled. To help jump start the cycle, you can use Tetra Safe Start, or obtain some filter media from a cycled, healthy tank.

If you've just purchased the fish, you could see about returning them (the plant is okay to stay in an uncycled tank), and then doing a fishless cycle. Information on fishless cycling can be found here: Four Methods of Fish Less Cycling

alex29
agree w Gunner, I would do 50% W/C EVERYDAY with treated(conditioned) water.
Prime, or amquel plus/NovAqua combo. for two weeks.
remember depending on your specific conditioning solution some test kits are not suitable for immediate testing.
watch your tetras closely. Not knowing your exact species,
I had a small school of neons in a tank that wasn't fully cycled and they had an ICH outbreak.(probably stress from new tank syndrome) lost 3 of em. keep an eye on there behavior.it's a tell tale before visible white spots.
cycling with fish can and has been done.
Best wishes.

chrisgriffin1234
It may sound a bit cruel but I'm not really all that worried about the tetras since I only bought them to be disposable. The pleco is the only one I really want to keep since I took it out of a 10 gallon tank.

It's the same process even if I don't care if the fish die right?

bowcrazy
If you don't care about the fish why don't you return them to the store and just put some raw shirmp in the tank and let it decompose to create ammonia. That way no fish has to suffer to get the tank cycled and you get the same end result.

bettawaters
bowcrazy said:
If you don't care about the fish why don't you return them to the store and just put some raw shirmp in the tank and let it decompose to create ammonia. That way no fish has to suffer to get the tank cycled and you get the same end result.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++1!

Latest threads

Top Bottom