Cycling a sponge filter

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by codyrex97, Jun 20, 2016.

1. codyrex97

codyrex97Well Known MemberMember

Hey guys! A sponge filter I ordered came in today and I have it running in my tank right next to my HOB filter. I was thinking of cycling this sponge to use in a future tank. Is it as simple as just letting it run in my tank like normal and it'll eventually gather the beneficial bacteria?

2. ashleyb

ashleybValued MemberMember

Yep! I did the same when I switched to sponges and I haven't regretted it. In my tank the bacteria actually split between the two filters and caused a mini (two day) cycle, which I wasn't expecting but it was extremely manageable. Good luck!

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

The mini cycle shouldn't have been caused by simply adding a sponge filter. Something else must have happened.

I do the same thing. When I get a new sponge filter, I run it in my main tank. I keep it running in my main tank until I need to move it over when I need to QT.

4. ashleyb

ashleybValued MemberMember

No, I meant when I removed the HOB and ran the sponge alone, the bacteria had split between the two and it caused a two day disruption when I finally removed the HOB.

Sorry, I didn't make that very clear lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice