Cycling A Quarantine Tank Questions

kbbartel93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We have a 45 gallon community tank with guppies, mollies, dwarf gourami and cory cats. We also have a 5 gallon that we were originally planning on using as a quarantine tank until we found fry in our tank and then lost all but 1 female guppy and moved her there so she wouldn't be stressed to death by the 9 males. We found a little 1 gallon "betta tank" that I'm planning to clean up. Would that work as a hospital or quarantine tank? We don't plan on getting any more new fish, I just want to use it if someone gets sick or aggressive. If I can use it how would I cycle it?

kbbartel93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Adding, the fry are almost 3 weeks old so I'm waiting to sex them before adding to the big tank so we can avoid too many males vs female guppies. The female I moved is pregnant and ready to pop any day now.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, you can use it as a QT tank, though I'd recommend getting a larger tank for a QT - in the smaller tank, waste builds up faster.

To cycle it, you can either use a small bit of media from the larger tank and use it in the filter on the 1 gal, or you can just do daily 50-75% changes on the QT when it's in use.

Do you have a plan for all of the fry? It sounds like you'll be overstocked soon.

kbbartel93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well out of the 4 from the deceased mama we're just waiting to see who's male and female. Males will go into the group, females will stay with the mama. Depending on how many survive of this mama's fry idk yet. We were thinking of taking them to the lfs (non chain store) to see if they'd take them in exchange for in store credit so if we need something for the tank we can use it towards that. We can't keep them, there just isn't enough room. But they're mutts and I don't purposely breed or anything. I had a credit from the mama that died so I used it to take this mama home because the tank conditions at petsmart make me cringe and I couldn't leave her and her unborn babies there.

kbbartel93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm pretty sure only 1 maybe 2 of the fry are male. But I'm not 100% yet

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, the 5 gal really isn't big enough for the female and her fry as a grow out. I'd personally just rehome all females, this mama included, and just keep males so you won't be overwhelmed with fry.

kbbartel93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Agreed. I gotta call and find out how old they want the fry to be before they'll take them and if they will. Otherwise my sister in law might take some, they have a 20 gallon with a ghost shrimp and 2 or 3 guppies.

kbbartel93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Anyway, cycling a new quarantine, I can just take some of the sponge from my tank and that'll cycle it?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It should, just make sure you add fish at the same time that you move the sponge into the filter on the 1 gal.

kbbartel93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I just looked at this 1 gallon set up, I was gonna start cleaning it. It doesn't appear to have a filter. It's pretty much like this. Ick if it'll work for what I wanna use it for
b7034d2b93b6d755607b7c9387206544.jpg

kbbartel93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is one we found and wanted to clean up as a hospital/quarantine. What would I need for this?

kbbartel93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awesome thank you! I don't think it does but we have a spare one if it doesn't.

kbbartel93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, so if I wanna move just mama to the little one until the babies are old enough that the fish store will take them would I need a filter if I do more frequent water changes and cleanings? How would I cycle it without a filter? She wouldn't be in it for more than a month

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A month is a long time for her to be in the 1 gal. Why not go ahead and return her to the store now, before she gives birth? The 5 gal is too small for her permanently anyway, and she can't go back with all of the males either. Or return her after she gives birth, if you still wanted the experience of raising fry.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Instead of putting the fish in a 1 gallon whatever that is, just go Target or Walmart and get a big plastic bin and use that as a tank...it be much better than that whatyoumacallit...oo Candy!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom