Cycling a Planted Tank - some questions

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello everyone

Just a quick question to whoever may have an opinion on this: I've set up my 75 gallon planted tank on March 4. This weekend will mark a week since the tank has been running. I am cycling with fish food. The question is: Should I perform weekly water changes in a cycling planted tank? Or wait with the water changes until it is cycled?

I've already asked about it on Plant Geek, but I'd like to ask for your opinion as well.

( Just to recap: The tank has Eco-Complete substrate and 1.73 wpg of lighting. )

Thanks for any help

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I did 10% water changes when I cycled my planted tank but I didn't use fish flakes. It was complete in about 3 weeks, but I would at least top off weekly and do 10% water changes weekly, maybe not gravel vacuum but get some fresh water in.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What did you use to cycle your tank?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just some live plants and some gravel from my old tank. Worked out fine and since I was in no rush it was no big deal to wait.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hmm, maybe I should stop adding fish food and just take some gravel from my old tank, and that's it.

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
are there any fish (or other critters) in the tank? or just plants?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would just add some media from the 30

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Media from the other tank will definately speed things up a bit, but the bacteria in the gravel from the other tank will still need ammonia to feed on so I would continue adding the fish food.
You could always add the gravel from the other tank then put a larger amount of fish food in the foot af a panty hose tie it up and hang in the tank. The ammonia doesn't have to be low because there aren't any fish in the tank. The higher the ammonia goes the faster the tank will cycle. Your plants will suck the nitrates right up.
Just a thought.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
All righty, thank you all

About the water changes: I should be performing them weekly, right? How large water changes would you recommend?

Griffin, no fish, just plants (well, + about 5 snails 1/10 of an inch in size, lol). That's why I am adding fish food to the tank (because there are no fish wastes in there).

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Also, another idea and question:

I've been actually running 2 filters on my 10 gallon tank: 1 established Whisper Tetra filter, and the other new Aqua Clear filter. I want to replace the Tetra Whisper with the Aqua Clear. The Aqua Clear has been running on the 10 gallon tank for a month and 9 days. Do you think it's safe by now to take off the Tetra Whisper filter?

I have been thinking to simply hang the mature Tetra Whisper filter on my 75 gallon tank to speed up the cycle. One problem though: The 10 gallon tank has A LOT of green algae in it. Will they transfer to my 75 gallon tank via the Tetra Whisper filter?

What do you folks think?

marek313

Reaction score
I wouldnt recommend cycling with fish food. There is no need for it and it will add large amounts of phosphates which has a good chance of creating algea problem later on. If you have enough plants just cycle with fish. Live plants love ammonia and you will go through a silent cycle. Your plants will use up ammonia and nitrite as your tank grows bacteria colony large enough. You will never see any ammonia or nitrite spikes as suggested. When I started my 45g I put in a lot of wysteria and amazon swords. I had over 10 plants and I think around 5 zebra danios. My ammonia and nitrites barely showed up on my test kit so I added few more fish and few more and next thing you know I had nitrates and no spikes at all. There isnt that much info on a silent cycling but it works great as long as you have more plants then fish. Thats if you are planning on having planted tank. I love my plants just as much if not more then my fish

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom