40 Gallon Tank Cycling a new tank

justinleeldn

He everyone! I am new to the world of Saltwater tanks, but not new to fish keeping in general as I have a successful tropical tank for around 8 months now.

I have recently set up a 130 litre Saltwater tank and i am cycling it with a frozen Scallop, which has been in the tank for around 24hrs. Just tested the water and it is as follows..

Ammonia 1.3
Nitrite 0.3

They have both spiked since adding the Scallop. I am also adding some Bacterial Seed. My question is this, how long do I keep the Scallop in the tank before removing it? Do i keep it in until Ammonia and nitrite drop to zero? Do i keep it in until it just starts to rot? Or do i keep it in until Ammonia and Nitrite spike to a certain level? I have Googled this, but no one seems to be able to give a definitive answer.

Thanks.

MrBryan723

You can either leave it until it completely decomposes, or until your paramaters are where they need to be. The rotting is what makes ammonia, so it wouldn't make sense to remove it for rotting. The big drawback to using flesh to cycle is it does stink pretty bad. That means it's working lol. If you continue to see high ammonia after a month, then you should remove it of course as it might be too large of a piece and will just continue to foul your tank. A little can go a long ways with flesh.

Upvote 0

justinleeldn

You can either leave it until it completely decomposes, or until your paramaters are where they need to be. The rotting is what makes ammonia, so it wouldn't make sense to remove it for rotting. The big drawback to using flesh to cycle is it does stink pretty bad. That means it's working lol. If you continue to see high ammonia after a month, then you should remove it of course as it might be too large of a piece and will just continue to foul your tank. A little can go a long ways with flesh.

This is exactly the type of answer I've been looking for. Thank you! The water has started to cloud a little, so I imagine this is the bacterial bloom? Will it help if i keep adding some liquid seed, or should i just leave it and let nature do its thing?

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

I've personally never done a cycle with a piece of seafood like this - but I doubt there's many people out there that can give you an accurate answer of exactly how high each level should be before you remove the piece of seafood. In general, I'd say keeping ammonia and nitrite below 4 PPM will allow the nitrifying bacteria to do their job without harm - 4 PPM should be safe. Nitrates, don't worry about until the tank is cycled.

I would have recommended using 100% ammonia, since you can calculate almost exactly how much it'll take to get to 4 PPM (or whatever number you like). Makes it a little more precise, and a lot less stinky!

What kind of rock are you using? Was it live? Dry? What bacterial seed product? Do you plan to keep this tank as a reef, or FOWLR?

There's not one consensus on how it's best to cycle a tank, but in the past, I've always just added ammonia until the tank can process 4 PPM in around 36 hours or so. Some people say it's overkill, and some people say it's not nearly enough. Since a 40 gallon is a decent sized tank, as long as you stock slowly, 4 PPM in roughly 36 hours should be more than enough to consider it cycled.

Upvote 0

justinleeldn

I've personally never done a cycle with a piece of seafood like this - but I doubt there's many people out there that can give you an accurate answer of exactly how high each level should be before you remove the piece of seafood. In general, I'd say keeping ammonia and nitrite below 4 PPM will allow the nitrifying bacteria to do their job without harm - 4 PPM should be safe. Nitrates, don't worry about until the tank is cycled.

I would have recommended using 100% ammonia, since you can calculate almost exactly how much it'll take to get to 4 PPM (or whatever number you like). Makes it a little more precise, and a lot less stinky!

What kind of rock are you using? Was it live? Dry? What bacterial seed product? Do you plan to keep this tank as a reef, or FOWLR?

There's not one consensus on how it's best to cycle a tank, but in the past, I've always just added ammonia until the tank can process 4 PPM in around 36 hours or so. Some people say it's overkill, and some people say it's not nearly enough. Since a 40 gallon is a decent sized tank, as long as you stock slowly, 4 PPM in roughly 36 hours should be more than enough to consider it cycled.

The seed product i'm using is, Aquavitro. I plan to make this a reef tank and currently we have 4 live rocks in the tank.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

The seed product i'm using is, Aquavitro. I plan to make this a reef tank and currently we have 4 live rocks in the tank.
If it's live rock, you'll probably see a bunch of pods and other critters crawling on the rock, too. I'd recommend keeping ammonia and nitrite levels a tad lower, if for no other reason than to save some of the life on your rock!

Upvote 0

justinleeldn

If it's live rock, you'll probably see a bunch of pods and other critters crawling on the rock, too. I'd recommend keeping ammonia and nitrite levels a tad lower, if for no other reason than to save some of the life on your rock!

Interesting! I did see a little white thing crawling on the rock the other day.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Consider making a tank thread! I'd love to follow your tank progress, and it'd be a good place to ask questions.

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

He everyone! I am new to the world of Saltwater tanks, but not new to fish keeping in general as I have a successful tropical tank for around 8 months now.

I have recently set up a 130 litre Saltwater tank and i am cycling it with a frozen Scallop, which has been in the tank for around 24hrs. Just tested the water and it is as follows..

Ammonia 1.3
Nitrite 0.3

They have both spiked since adding the Scallop. I am also adding some Bacterial Seed. My question is this, how long do I keep the Scallop in the tank before removing it? Do i keep it in until Ammonia and nitrite drop to zero? Do i keep it in until it just starts to rot? Or do i keep it in until Ammonia and Nitrite spike to a certain level? I have Googled this, but no one seems to be able to give a definitive answer.

Thanks.

Honestly you can remove it once the process has started. You really only need it to get things going.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
40 Gallon Tank Our new tank journey
Replies
Views
justinleeldn
Replies
Views
yoboyjuice
  • Question
40 Gallon Tank Newly cycled tank