Cycling a new tank with Tetra SafeStart

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by olepan, Nov 28, 2012.

1. olepanNew MemberMember

Hi guys,

Just want to share with you my experience with cycling a new tank using Tetra SafeStart. I got my 30 gallon tank last Nov. 12, 2012. Set-up gravel, decorations and filter media (all new, no seeding materials). Filled the tank with tap water treated with AquaSafe. Run the power filter for 24 hours. Then put in 5 zebra danio. Within a few hours double dose the tank with SafeStart. Waited 48 hours before testing water samples using API master test kit. Fed the danios only one time a day. Ammonia and Nitrite readings never got beyond 2 ppm. Last two days showed 0 ppm ammonia and nitrite. Nitrate today is at 40 ppm, so I did my first water change (about 90%). Will test the water parameters again tomorrow. Looks like the tank is fully cycled. All the danios behave the same way as day I put them in. Never had red gills and eating like crazy. I think I'm ready to stock the tank. Any suggestions? BTW I'm keeping the danios just love how active they are.

Thanks,
    olepan

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    Sounds like you had great success with TSS!

Thanks for sharing :)

3. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Hello and Welcome to Fishlore! :;toast

Thats great it worked out so well for you! :) For starters, I would get a couple more danios if you are sure you want to keep them, maybe bring their school up to 8 at least.

As far as other fish, the danios are pretty high energy so you'll want to stick to fish that tolerate them well, are there any particular fish that have caught your eye? Also, starting a thread in the aquarium stocking section of the forum will probably get you more answers.

4. OP
    OP
    o

olepanNew MemberMember

Thank you Lucy and Matt B!

5. Ziabis

ZiabisWell Known MemberMember

Well done, good job. Can't wait to see pics...

6. WaterSpirit

WaterSpiritValued MemberMember

Yay! Congrats! Stock slowly, gradually adding a couple more fish at a time. :) Little fish to bigger fish too so the big fish don't get too territorial over the little fish.

7. carolo43

carolo43Valued MemberMember

I have used Tetra SafeStart and Seachem Stability. What you have to keep in mind is nothing from a bottle cycles the tank. The fish do. The bacteria booster only helps neutralize the toxins to make the fish better able to handle the cycling process but you still have to do your part by doing the water changes as required and testing daily.

What cycles the tank is the ammonia produced from fish. These products do not contain ammonia nor do they contain the same bacteria that you will be growing during your cycling process. The reason you have detected a very low toxic level is because you have only 5 tiny fish in 30 gallons of water.

You are not ready to stock the tank but you can began to add a "few" more fish every 10 days or so but you have to keep adding the booster. The problem with this method of stocking is you are taking a chance with each addition of new fish of getting ick. This is where a quarantine tank comes in handy.

You have only grown enough bacteria to support the fish you currently have.

8. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

:;dk

We've had many members have luck with TSS.
    It's designed to add once. Twice if need be.

Stability. 'Eh, not so much.
    I think the directions on the bottle recommends to keep adding it monthly or with water changes. I forget.
    Similar to the instructions on Cycle.

9. OP
    OP
    o

olepanNew MemberMember

I've since added 2 mollies, 2 platies and a gold gourami as a centre piece. I want to add a rubber lipped pleco as the bottom feeder. What do you uygs think. BTW attached is a picture of my tank.

thanks,
    olepan 703120_4953677757675_666637342_o.jpg

10. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Wait before adding the rubberlip pleco. It really is a good idea to stock gradually. The bacteria need to catch up with the added bioload, and also you need a while to watch the new fish for any kind of trouble before adding new one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice