Cycling a new small tank.... question.

sick-lid boy

Valued Member
Reaction score
If I were to put a fresh, unused filter into an established and fully cycled 55 gallon tank, about how long would it take for the new filter to gather enough nitrate to quickly cycle a new, uncycled tank? The filter in question is just a little Marineland Duetta 50... it has 2 sponges and is good for up to a 10 gallon tank. The new tank I would be cycling is just a little 1 gallon desktop tank.

I just need a general time frame... hours? days? weeks?

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would suggest to not put 100% new filter media into an established, cycled tank, it will cause it to go into a mini cycle, most filters have 3 media types, the best thing you can do is remove one media type and put it into the new filter, or take some of the gravel out of your cycled tank, put it into a sock or nylon, and put it into your new tank, also, i would suggest reading some of the beginners articles here on fishlore, there ar many different ways of cycling a tank, just choose which is the one you want to attempt, with my 20 gallon, i took filter media from my 10 gallon tank, the result was, a fully cycled 20 gallon tank in 10 days

sick-lid boy

Valued Member
Reaction score
The small filter for the new tank only has two sponges. There's a slot for some kind of a carbon compartment, but I don't have it... so all it has is two tiny sponges, one about 1"x2.5"x1/4", one about 1"x2"x1". It's just a tiny little filter for turtle cages or small fish tanks. I read all the articles. I just wondered how about how long it would take the filter to gather up some nitrate.

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
it always depends on the tank when it comes to cycling, could be 2 weeks, or 2 months, the only way to really know is with water testing, theres no set length of time, its all variable

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
I cycled a 55 gallon in less than 2 weeks with just a few handfuls of gravel from an established tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom