Cycling a fish-less tank with Ammonia: Helpful Cheat sheet with the steps

kymob

Reaction score
Looking for a quick cheat sheet to help you remember the steps for cycling a fish-less tank using Ammonia.? Below is a summary of an article from fishlab.com written by Ian Sterling that explains the process. There was a lot to remember so I made a summary of it. Go to his websight to read it entirely. I thought I would share it in hopes to help others. I
did not write this article Ian Sterling wrote it. Called Cycle Your New Aquarium The EASY Way (Beginner Friendly!)Last Updated on January 18, 2020. see attachment below

JenC

Well Known
Reaction score
There are many different ways people fishless cycle their tanks. In general, most work eventually.

If your goal is to fine tune a guide I'd consider that not all source waters require dechlorinator, not all household ammonias are the same strength so targets should be PPM not drops, which kinds of ammonia are appropriate, pH can fluctuate a lot while cycling so I'd not be overly concerned with it in the short term, note that beneficial bacteria growth typically stalls below a pH of 6 not 7, suggest raising the temp to around 82° F to expedite progress, maybe reference common max limits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate requiring a PWC, etc. Maybe expand to include the importance of a big water change before stocking and how to keep the cycle going if not stocking immediately. Utilization of bacteria boosters in a fishless cycle is also really helpful sometimes. And the discussion about planting during or after a cycle is always interesting.

There's a lot of good information available. Good luck in your effort to compile it. I'm sure it could be helpful. :)

OP
kymob

kymob

Reaction score
JenC said:
There are many different ways people fishless cycle their tanks. In general, most work eventually.

If your goal is to fine tune a guide I'd consider that not all source waters require dechlorinator, not all household ammonias are the same strength so targets should be PPM not drops, which kinds of ammonia are appropriate, pH can fluctuate a lot while cycling so I'd not be overly concerned with it in the short term, note that beneficial bacteria growth typically stalls below a pH of 6 not 7, suggest raising the temp to around 82° F to expedite progress, maybe reference common max limits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate requiring a PWC, etc. Maybe expand to include the importance of a big water change before stocking and how to keep the cycle going if not stocking immediately. Utilization of bacteria boosters in a fishless cycle is also really helpful sometimes. And the discussion about planting during or after a cycle is always interesting.

There's a lot of good information available. Good luck in your effort to compile it. I'm sure it could be helpful. :)
Many thanks for the input it will help this newbie alot. I love learning new things too thanks

OP
kymob

kymob

Reaction score
kymob said:
Many thanks for the input it will help this newbie alot. I love learning new things too thanks
What are your thought about putting plants in during this process? I just spent alot $ on new plants do not want to kill then if there is a threat.

JenC

Well Known
Reaction score
kymob said:
What are your thought about putting plants in during this process? I just spent alot $ on new plants do not want to kill then if there is a threat.
If you already have them then yes, plant and feed them.

and quarantining is important. :)

New Threads