Cycling a betta tank

1. Kimaera

Kimaera New Member Member

I'm on day 7 of a fishless cycle. (No nitrites yet), but I was wondering- If the tank is only going to house one fish (and about 2 small plants) is it still necessary to bring the ammonia up higher than 2ppm to start? I'm using the fish food method so that obviously makes my control over ammonia levels a tad more difficult.

2.5 gal tank, sponge filter, heater, gravel, no fish

ammonia- 2, nitrites- 0, nitrate- 0, P.H.- 7.6, temp- 81*

~Thanks

2. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

First. Welcome to the forums.

Using the fish food method can take quite a long time to get the beneficial bacteria to get going. However no nitrates almost sounds like none are there. Are you using TSS or Stability to add beneficial bacteria?

3. OP
    OP
    Kimaera

Thank you for the welcome :)

The only thing I used were Prime and API Stress Zyme during the initial filling of the tank.

edit* Just tested again and my ammonia is still on the rise, now it's a bit over a 2 (maybe 2.5ppm) and still no nitrite. It's only day 8, but I really hope to see some nitrites and nitrates soon.

4. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

I would also redose with stress zyme for the full tank amount. Haven't used that so not sure of it's exact instructions. I know Seachem Prime has a 7 day regiment when you start a tank. Read the instructions should say how many days to do it.

((Edit removed the part about prime. Wow I need more coffee))

5. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

If there's no fish in the tank then I wouldn't worry about adding any chemicals to make it safe for them;)

I might remove a bit of the fish food with a turkey baster though to try to control how high it rises. Too high (I think about 4ppm) and your BB can be harmed.

6. OP
    OP
    Kimaera

I love the turkey baster idea and will definitely be doing that! I've tried to keep all the fish food in a mesh fishnet, but there have been plenty pellets that have escaped on me.

7. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, welcome to fishlore :;hi1

Stress zyme doesn't contain the bacteria that you need to help finish your cycle. It contains bacteria (heterotrophic) that break down organics like fish food etc. That is probably why you are seeing a fast ammonia reading, which is good.

I'd pick up a bottle of Tetra Safe Start Plus or Seachem Stability and put the whole bottle into your tank (of either) which will speed the cycle up for you.

8. CindiL

Sometimes adding prime when you have a higher ph will help the cycle move along because it puts the ammonia into an ammonium form.

This is important because I have read through a bunch of studies recently that show both ammonia and nitrites, even at low amounts are inhibiting to the growth of the bacteria. More and more I think lower ammonia to cycle will be faster than high and using a binder like prime will help (except in cases of TSS+).

In an email with Seachem they confirmed this also (that its better to have ammonium than ammonia for the bacteria).

9. Aquaphobia

That's very interesting, thanks CindiL!

10. OP
    OP
    Kimaera

So just to update-
    Day 12
    PH-7.8, temp- 82*, ammonia- 3.5.
    I removed the net full of fish food. I'm guessing now I just wait for ammonia levels to go down (?) The nitrite still gave me a 0 and I didn't bother testing for nitrate yet.

I was also wondering if/when I should add plants to the tank during the cycle. (I would have to turn the temp down maybe 2 or 3 degrees.) I have a marimo ball and an anubias in a wide mouth jar waiting to go in. I read conflicting information online about adding plants during fishless cycling and wanted to hear other's opinions on it.

11. CindiL

You can definitely add plants while cycling, they will consume the ammonia also but there will be plenty for the bacteria.

Yes now wait for it to drop. Actually I would change enough water to get the ammonia back down to 2.0.

Did you end up picking up some Stability or Tetra Safe Start Plus?

12. OP
    OP
    Kimaera

I am going to grab some TSS over the weekend. It seems to be the product I hear everyone mentioning that they use during tank cycling. Just to clarify, it's beneficial to add it even though it's a fishless cycle?

13. CindiL

Yep, the bacteria doesn't care if their ammonia source is coming from fish or a bottle :). but they do care if the the ammonia is too high as it will inhibit their growth. So make sure to get it down to 2.0 or under first.

14. OP
    OP
    Kimaera

Awesome, thanks! This has been a great help.

15. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Quick question about this - dont you need to put at least something to dechlorinate because wouldnt that kill any bacteria that is beginning to grow? Does stress zyme dechlorinate?

16. Aquaphobia

Good point!

17. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Well I dont have those often! Someone archive this thread for posterity!! Lol.

18. Aquaphobia

Lol!

19. CindiL

Ha ha, just assumed you knew to do that :;laughing

20. OP
    OP
    Kimaera

Update*

Day 13 I did about 20% water change, didn't touch the gravel and siphoned away from the sponge filter. At the time my ammonia reading was almost at 4ppm. Added new water that had been treated with Prime.

24 hours later (today) I added the TSS+, but I have an ammonia reading of a solid 1ppm! **face plant** I guess I didn't account for all the evaporation and water samples that had been removed from the tank and I diluted the ammonia too much. I also added my plants during the pwc.

Nitrate and nitrite are still 0.

Should I throw a towel over the tank and pretend it doesn't exist or add a pinch of fish food?