Important Cycling a 5 gallon tank, and a quick question

thefishn00b

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So,i have filter cartridges,from a 15 gallon tank that has been cycled. For 2yrs i was wondering if i could,put it in the back of my filter,to make the cycle go faster here is a photo for reference. Also here is my peramters 0 ammonia, 0,nitrite 0, Nitrate GH 75, Chlorine 0 KH, PH 7.2

Attachments

Best Answer - View mattgirl's answer

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thefishn00b said:
So,i have filter cartridges,from a 15 gallon tank that has been cycled. For 2yrs i was wondering if i could,put it in the back of my filter,to make the cycle go faster here is a photo for reference.
You can probably put the cartridge in to cycle it. But the tank in your picture is probably 2 gallons. It definitely does not look like it is 5.

OP
thefishn00b

thefishn00b

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
NBettas83 said:
You can probably put the cartridge in to cycle it. But the tank in your picture is probably 2 gallons. It definitely does not look like it is 5.
Its a tall tank not a wide one.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
thefishn00b said:
So,i have filter cartridges,from a 15 gallon tank that has been cycled. For 2yrs i was wondering if i could,put it in the back of my filter,to make the cycle go faster here is a photo for reference. Also here is my peramters 0 ammonia, 0,nitrite 0, Nitrate GH 75, Chlorine 0 KH, PH 7.2
Yes, a seeded cartridge from a fully cycled tank should instantly cycle another tank as long as the bio-load is lower in the new tank than the tank the cartridge came from and the cartridge has been running in the cycled tank for at least a month.

OP
thefishn00b

thefishn00b

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
Yes, a seeded cartridge from a fully cycled tank should instantly cycle another tank as long as the bio-load is lower in the new tank than the tank the cartridge came from and the cartridge has been running in the cycled tank for at least a month.
thank you i have 5 neon tetras in the 15 Versus 1 betta in a 5 gallon lol.

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay, it just REALLY looked like a 2 gallon, even tall, especially how large the Betta is compared to it.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
thefishn00b said:
thank you i have 5 neon tetras Versus 1 betta in a 5 gallon lol.
In that case there should be enough bacteria on the cartridge to handle the bio-load of the Betta. Keep a close eye on the new tank. If you get a reading for ammonia keep it down with water changes. You really shouldn't see it spike but better safe than sorry.

OP
thefishn00b

thefishn00b

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
NBettas83 said:
Okay, it just REALLY looked like a 2 gallon, even tall, especially how large the Betta is compared to it.
Yeah i know, i ordered it on amazon it looked way BIGGER in the picture i kinda wish i got a fluvel spec or something like that

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thefishn00b said:
Yeah i know, i ordered it on amazon it looked way BIGGER in the picture i kinda wish i got a fluvel spec or something like that
I'm probably just crazy, but you might have got scammed, I'm 90% sure that is more like 2 gallons though.

Do you have the link to the amazon page?

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
thefishn00b said:
Huh it’s not available. If you do a quick measure of length, width, and height I can give you how many gallons for sure. I agree, it does not look like 5. I own a standard 5.5 and this looks half the size of my tank.

OP
thefishn00b

thefishn00b

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
NBettas83 said:
It just came up with a 404. Why are links always changing lol?
Sorry i fixed the link

OP
thefishn00b

thefishn00b

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FreshwaterHG said:
Huh it’s not available. If you do a quick measure of length, width, and height I can give you how many gallons for sure. I agree, it does not look like 5. I own a standard 5.5 and this looks half the size of my tank.
11.8 x 11.6 x 17

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thefishn00b said:
11.8 x 11.6 x 17
That sounds like a 5 gallon, maybe the height of the tank is just weird and the photos cover a lot, like FreshwaterHG said.

I also read that because of the filter, there is only about 3.5-4 gallons of space for the fish.

OP
thefishn00b

thefishn00b

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
NBettas83 said:
I also read that because of the filter, there is only about 3.5-4 gallons of space for the fish.
Yeah theres a plastic divider thing that hides the filter which takes up 2,inches

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
NBettas83 said:
I had a similar thing. I got a 3.7g tank but the in tank filtration took up a lot of space. I ended up ripping it out and adding a HOB. Just took some patients and a razor blade. I ended up liking it a lot more. Now I feel comfortable putting anything alive in there

Attachments

New Threads