Cycling a 5 gallon tank, and a quick question

thefishn00b
So,i have filter cartridges,from a 15 gallon tank that has been cycled. For 2yrs i was wondering if i could,put it in the back of my filter,to make the cycle go faster here is a photo for reference. Also here is my peramters 0 ammonia, 0,nitrite 0, Nitrate GH 75, Chlorine 0 KH, PH 7.2

NBettas83
thefishn00b said:
So,i have filter cartridges,from a 15 gallon tank that has been cycled. For 2yrs i was wondering if i could,put it in the back of my filter,to make the cycle go faster here is a photo for reference.
You can probably put the cartridge in to cycle it. But the tank in your picture is probably 2 gallons. It definitely does not look like it is 5.

thefishn00b
NBettas83 said:
You can probably put the cartridge in to cycle it. But the tank in your picture is probably 2 gallons. It definitely does not look like it is 5.
Its a tall tank not a wide one.

mattgirl
thefishn00b said:
So,i have filter cartridges,from a 15 gallon tank that has been cycled. For 2yrs i was wondering if i could,put it in the back of my filter,to make the cycle go faster here is a photo for reference. Also here is my peramters 0 ammonia, 0,nitrite 0, Nitrate GH 75, Chlorine 0 KH, PH 7.2
Yes, a seeded cartridge from a fully cycled tank should instantly cycle another tank as long as the bio-load is lower in the new tank than the tank the cartridge came from and the cartridge has been running in the cycled tank for at least a month.

thefishn00b
mattgirl said:
Yes, a seeded cartridge from a fully cycled tank should instantly cycle another tank as long as the bio-load is lower in the new tank than the tank the cartridge came from and the cartridge has been running in the cycled tank for at least a month.
thank you i have 5 neon tetras in the 15 Versus 1 betta in a 5 gallon lol.

NBettas83
Okay, it just REALLY looked like a 2 gallon, even tall, especially how large the Betta is compared to it.

mattgirl
thefishn00b said:
thank you i have 5 neon tetras Versus 1 betta in a 5 gallon lol.
In that case there should be enough bacteria on the cartridge to handle the bio-load of the Betta. Keep a close eye on the new tank. If you get a reading for ammonia keep it down with water changes. You really shouldn't see it spike but better safe than sorry.

thefishn00b
NBettas83 said:
Okay, it just REALLY looked like a 2 gallon, even tall, especially how large the Betta is compared to it.
Yeah i know, i ordered it on amazon it looked way BIGGER in the picture i kinda wish i got a fluvel spec or something like that

NBettas83
thefishn00b said:
Yeah i know, i ordered it on amazon it looked way BIGGER in the picture i kinda wish i got a fluvel spec or something like that
I'm probably just crazy, but you might have got scammed, I'm 90% sure that is more like 2 gallons though.

Do you have the link to the amazon page?

thefishn00b
NBettas83 said:
It just came up with a 404. Why are links always changing lol?
Sorry i fixed the link

PNWBettas
thefishn00b said:
Sorry i fixed the link
Ahhh I know that tank. Strange, it always looked larger to me. Maybe it was just the angle the photo was taken from.

thefishn00b
FreshwaterHG said:
Huh it’s not available. If you do a quick measure of length, width, and height I can give you how many gallons for sure. I agree, it does not look like 5. I own a standard 5.5 and this looks half the size of my tank.
11.8 x 11.6 x 17

NBettas83
thefishn00b said:
11.8 x 11.6 x 17
That sounds like a 5 gallon, maybe the height of the tank is just weird and the photos cover a lot, like FreshwaterHG said.

I also read that because of the filter, there is only about 3.5-4 gallons of space for the fish.

thefishn00b
NBettas83 said:
I also read that because of the filter, there is only about 3.5-4 gallons of space for the fish.
Yeah theres a plastic divider thing that hides the filter which takes up 2,inches

PNWBettas
NBettas83 said:
I had a similar thing. I got a 3.7g tank but the in tank filtration took up a lot of space. I ended up ripping it out and adding a HOB. Just took some patients and a razor blade. I ended up liking it a lot more. Now I feel comfortable putting anything alive in there

NBettas83
FreshwaterHG said:
Just took some patients and a razor blade.
You mean patience? Lol, I hope it didn't produce patients. hilarious

PNWBettas
NBettas83 said:
You mean patience? Lol, I hope it didn't produce patients. hilarious
Haha oops. That’s what I get for not proof reading autocorrect

thefishn00b
FreshwaterHG said:
I had a similar thing. I got a 3.7g tank but the in tank filtration took up a lot of space. I ended up ripping it out and adding a HOB. Just took some patients and a razor blade. I ended up liking it a lot more. Now I feel comfortable putting anything alive in there
I cant really take,out the filter and put. A hob now cause i put my betta in already );

PNWBettas
thefishn00b said:
I cant really take,out the filter and put. A hob now cause i put my betta in already );
I understand, just an idea! If you do want to, betta are ok in temp tanks. I had to change my substrate and fix my dividers and I have 3 betta chilling in plastic tubs with air stones for like 4 hours and they were fine. Not ideal but if you wanted to go that route it’s possible.

NBettas83
FreshwaterHG said:
I guess, but you could upgrade to a glass 5.5 with an external or hob filter and cycle it while you wait, if you have space.
FreshwaterHG said:
I just read that an autocorrected text lead to a murder... Wow.

thefishn00b
NBettas83 said:
I guess, but you could upgrade to a glass 5.5 with an external or hob filter and cycle it while you wait, if you have space.

I just read that an autocorrected text lead to a murder... Wow.
I heard that the fluvel spec is good do you have any experience with it?

PNWBettas
thefishn00b said:
I heard that the fluvel spec is good do you have any experience with it?
I don’t but I have also heard good things. I avoid those just cuz of the price, I prefer to do my own tank builds to save money.

Oh! And I also love looking for used tanks. I’ve gotten so many good deals. I got a 20g long with heater, filter, and stand for free. Just have to watch closely cuz those things go quickly!

Tallen78
NBettas83 said:
It’s a 5 gallon marineland I have 3 female bettas in one

PNWBettas
Tallen78 said:
It’s a 5 gallon marineland I have 3 female bettas in one
Well.... that’s not really a great idea :/. Don’t recommend doing that for sure. Sorority tanks generally need 20+ gallons.

Tallen78
FreshwaterHG said:
Well.... that’s not really a great idea :/. Don’t recommend doing that for sure. Sorority tanks generally need 20+ gallons.
There doing great they all have their own bush no fighting all good

Tallen78 said:
There doing great they all have their own bush no fighting all good
Considering I bought them and they were in a cup for god knows how long I think 5 gallons is a huge improvement

PNWBettas
Tallen78 said:
Considering I bought them and they were in a cup for god knows how long I think 5 gallons is a huge improvement
Yeah I’m aware of how betta are kept. I just believe is sticking to good care standards, no matter where they came from.

NBettas83
Bettas, no matter the gender, should have 5 gallons for each I believe. Even if they don't fight, 3 Bettas in a 5 gallon is a bad idea. Even if they are fine so far, that's no excuse.

Tallen78
FreshwaterHG said:
Yeah I’m aware of how betta are kept. I just believe is sticking to good care standards, no matter where they came from.
Who said they weren’t being cared for well fed clean and safe environment with nice live plants very happy trust me

PNWBettas
Tallen78 said:
Who said they weren’t being cared for well fed clean and safe environment with nice live plants very happy trust me
Care is not applicable if they are in a tank too small.

Tallen78
Tallen78 said:
Their water gets checked cleaned and changed weekly it’s been almost a year and not one issue I mean how long do they live 3-5 so they’ve enjoyed the first 3rd of their life together if disaster was on its way I believe we would have seen it already

PNWBettas
Tallen78 said:
It does not matter how well that are cared for. Care includes the size tank they fish is in. If you have a tank too small for the stocking, this is it good care. Please stop hijacking this thread for your own arguments. This thread is not about your stocking choices especially since they are not good recommendations, OP was asking about cycling a 5g tank.

Coradee
Please do not derail this thread any further, this is the fishn00bs thread, confine your responses to their questions & not each other

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom