Cycling A 2.5 Gallon Tank??

Elisa smith

Reaction score
I have a 2.5 gallon tank (square, roughly 7.5 x 7.5 x 9 inches), bought it before researching and finding out it's practically useless even for a Betta. I have a heater, filter and thermometer to go with it. I've set it up and now I'm attempting to do a fishless cycle, I've read this is difficult with tanks smaller then 5 gallons.

SO...

1. Is it even possible to cycle a tank this small and if so, how?
2. What is the reccomended tank size for a Betta fish?
3. Would shrimp be a better option?
4. What live plants would you recommend for it?
5. Should I just give up and buy a bigger tank?

Also it's the 3rd day of attempting to cycle (been using a biostarter just btw) and there's clumps of white bubbles, not sure if I should be worried, haven't put nasty chemicals near it as far as I'm aware of.

Thankyou for the help, and try not to roast me too harshly I'm learning

Renz163

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Plenty of people keep bettas in that size tank. It's a hotly debated topic I'm not getting into, my own personal preference is a minimum of 5 gallon. Yes it will cycle, just like any other tank. The cycling isn't so much the issue as keeping the parameters stable once it has. In a small tank, even a tiny fluctuation in parameters can have devastating affects you wouldn't get in a bigger one due to there being so much less water. With the cycling, patience is key there. Boosters are a help but not the be all and end all. It takes weeks to cycle a tank. Keep the temperature higher and oxygenate as well as you can to help the bacteria establish. Don't worry too much about bubbles and foam at the moment, you only just started cycling so things will happen as the water qualities change. You would get a lot more joy and less stress from a bigger tank, but you don't have to write this one off. Shrimp tank, quarantine tank, fry tank, all possibles. It would be ideal for a shrimp tank though. Java moss on a stone or small bit of wood would be ideal for shrimps. I would consider a bigger tank for your own sanity, but let this one trundle on anyway and see what you think about it when you know it's all good

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would give up and buy a proper tank. You can use most of the equipment. You might be able to get the tank to the magic numbers on the API kit, but it's highly unlikely you will be able to keep it there.
2.5s are good for baby fish in the first 2 weeks of their lives, for holding spare rocks,nets and equipment, and for making hobbyists so frustrated that they leave the hobby.

-Sofia-

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You could surely cycle it but I don't know if any live plants could be in it, I would probably try to buy another tank.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
1. I cycled mine by putting a plant in there and some fish food and waiting for two weeks with the filter running and some bacteria booster in there. Sounds crazy but it worked for me!

2. A 5 gallon is usually best.

3. Yes. Shrimp are awesome tank inhabitants imo as they have next to no bioload, are super colourful, keep the tank clean and they have a lot of funny antics and personality! 8/10 would reccomend

4. I had one large java fern, but in hindsight I would put some java moss, some Marino moss balls and some anacharis. All good plants for shrimp and a good size for a 2.5

5. No you've come this far now, it can be a cute desktop shrimp habitat! With enough anacharis or other fast growing plants in there then you won't even have to do any maintenence

Elisa smith

Reaction score
Ok thanks everyone,

I'll let it continue cycling for a few weeks and see what happens. I'll also look into getting some shrimp once it's done

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom