Cycling A 10 Gal.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by acb, Apr 21, 2017.

1. acb

acbNew MemberMember

Hello, I am going to fishless cycle a 10 gal. aquarium for ADF. I have a sand substrate, heater, and plan of using a small sponge filter from a cycled 55 gal. Filter wise, aside from the sponge, I haven't decided what HOB filter I will end up using. I've been reading different opinions regarding this. I also have stability but I'm not sure whether to use it or not? Do I need to use amonia if I do use the stablity? If so, how much? I have the API tests for Nitrate, nitrites and amonia. What readings am I looking for? Obviously, I've never done this before. Can you tell LOL I'd appreciate any advice. thanks

2. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Hi, are you sure your 55g is cycled? I'm only questioning because you have asked what readings to look for. A cycled tank will show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrates. Can you test your 55g and give us your readings? If it's cycled and it's been established for at least 6 months, I would suggest taking some extra seeded media from that filter and inserting it in the 10g hob filter you end up getting for an instant cycle. Or you could run the hob filter alongside the 55g for 2-3 weeks and then move it over to the 10g and add your adf.

3. OP
    OP
    acb

acbNew MemberMember

Thanks. All good suggestions. My 55 gal is 0 amonia, 0 nitrites, and i would say 20 nitrates. (Hard to tell, it's not 0 but it's not orange either.) I moved my fish to the 55 by moving the filter, some decorations, and driftwood from the old 29 gal. and added ATM Colony. That was about 5 months ago. I understand the numbers I'm aiming for, just not sure whether the amonia is suppose to be high when I start, never having done a fishless before. So I should just move some of the filter media from the 55 and keep testing the water? I was thinking I needed to add amonia to feed the tank.

4. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

What filter media do you have in the 55g? Don't take too much away or else you might see a cycle bump on that tank. Maybe take a piece sponge and insert that into the 10g HOB filter as mentioned. You'll want to add in your ammonia source (your ADF) right away so the bacteria doesn't starve. Adding in a bacteria supplement like the ATM Colony won't hurt either.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice