Cycling 8g Tank W/ Ada New Amazonia + Kellan Aqua Power Sand

1. t

tryingtokeepfish New Member Member

I'm planning on keeping a heavily planted shrimp-only tank, and it's been fishless cycling for about two weeks now. the subtrate (ada new amazonia+kellan aqua power sand) is about 2 inches deep in the front and 3 inches deep in the back. i have a tetra twin brilli filter (it's a sponge filter that's about 12cmx9cm big) and a nice piece of rock i took from an established betta tank. there's also a diy co2 in there, and lights are left on for about 6 hrs- the plants are growing like crazy (i had to trim yesterday).

i made a mistake and didn't test the water parameters for two weeks, except for the ammonia. i read that new amazonia leeks a lot of the stuff in the first few weeks and i focused only on that, which was a mistake on my part. so i have no idea if my tank is on the right track or not..

the ammonia is at about 1.0ppm~2.0ppm. i have an api freshwater master test kit, and it has been that way since the beginning. (actually ammonia was at about 4.0ppm when i first tested two weeks back.. i did a 80% water change that day to bring it down, and i'm assuming it's been at around 1.0~2.0 since then)

today i tested the nitrite and ph for the first time. nitrite was at 0ppm and ph was at 6.4

is my tank on its way to getting cycled??? i thought i should be reading some nitrites right now, but i've done the test twice and it came to 0 both times. is something wrong with the cycle and do i need to intervene in any way..?

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore, hope you get some responses today

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

You'll want to check the nitrAtes for any raises, or accumulations.
    Once it becomes measurably high, at least over 20ppm, you'll be cycled.

8 gallons shouldn't take but week or so.