cycling 75 gallon

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
good question.. it might help some, but i'm not sure how big of an effect it would have since the ammonia would be diluted in the other new tank and it might slow down the 1st tank cycling.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Considering we are talking parts per million (ppm) taking water that had say 2ppm of ammonia in it and putting it into a tank with 0 ammonia would dilute it to the point of non-existence. Though check your tap water for ammonia right out of the pipes. You might be surprised to see 1.0ppm or so out of the tap due to having chloramines in your water. Now that on the other hand should work nicely to cycle your tank... at least I plan to test it out next time I cycle a tank .

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh@ You are totally right! My tapwater has 1.0 or higher ammonia to start with. I wonder if that alone would be enough ammonia!

--R

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My tank never read higher then 0.5 ammonia throughout the entire ammonia part of my cycle (even though my tap has 1.0ppm out of the sink). So my guess is that just tap water alone only treating for the chlorine (without fish) would work fine. Of course this would require you to constantly add more fresh water to keep the ammonia levels up high enough throughout the entire cycle, so with all of those water changes anyway, you might as well cycle with fish ;D

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Luniyn said:
My tank never read higher then 0.5 ammonia throughout the entire ammonia part of my cycle (even though my tap has 1.0ppm out of the sink). So my guess is that just tap water alone only treating for the chlorine (without fish) would work fine. Of course this would require you to constantly add more fresh water to keep the ammonia levels up high enough throughout the entire cycle, so with all of those water changes anyway, you might as well cycle with fish ;D
Wow lucky on that! My ammonia is above the charts and has been there despite a wide range of efforts. I finally removed all but 2 fish and am doing plenty of water changes and just going to wait it out.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom